Engineering Manager, Data
The Muse is the most trusted and beloved career platform, connecting individuals and companies on a more authentic level. We support over 75 million people looking to craft meaningful careers through TheMuse.com and our employer partners. Smart companies work with us to attract today’s top talent, giving candidates the information they need to find the company that is right for them. Why? Because life’s too short to hate your career.
Our Engineering team is core to our success, and we’re looking for a Manager for our Data Team to help us bring our data capabilities to the next level. Reporting to the CTO, you will be responsible for managing and mentoring our team of Machine Learning Engineers and Data Engineers who build the pipelines, models, and data infrastructure that power our platform. You’ll work hand in hand with the Data Team and the Product and Engineering leadership teams to define requirements, prioritize activities, and be a part of the product planning and execution process. You’ll be responsible for the day to day management of the data team’s responsibilities and performance, and be the primary point of contact for data-related activities throughout the company.
How you'll make an impact
- You’ll coach a team of strong Machine Learning and Data Engineers as part of our larger Product and Engineering team.
- You’ll be instrumental in defining new roles and recruiting and hiring the best talent for them.
- You’ll work with product managers, designers, and other engineers to turn product ideas and concepts into reality.
- You’ll build new features that help millions of people curate their careers and find better jobs.
- You’ll help make sure our technology and processes are always up to date, and be responsible for implementing changes and improvements.
- You'll be a key voice in our technical and product roadmap, and be an advocate for data throughout the company!
Why we'll love you
- You are a strong Engineer AND Manager, with hands-on experience as a Machine Learning Engineer, Data Engineer, or both.
- You are confident in your skills with a variety of technologies, and are comfortable bringing the appropriate ones to bear to solve problems in an efficient and effective way.
- You like to move fast—our team uses continuous integration and deployment, infrastructure as code, and iterative management practices—but also know when to slow down, plan thoroughly, and be more deliberate.
- You have a good balance of practicality and aggressiveness when evaluating decisions - we’re not afraid to consider and use new tools and technologies, but also want to consider the long term impact of our decisions.
- You are committed to quality! Someone who’s willing to tackle technical debt, encourage others to do the same, and constantly evolve our processes to keep us on our toes.
- Like us, you’re all about cross team mentorship and professional growth.
- You’re a strong communicator, and enjoy bringing your experience with data to discussions with cross-functional teams in an accessible way.
Why you'll love us
- You’ll work at a tech company founded by two badass women—our founders believe transparency is important so they really try to share as much as they can about changes to The Muse strategy, board meetings, and when they are wrestling with big company-wide decisions.
- The Muse actually has—and sticks to—a “no assholes” policy, so you can come to work everyday knowing you will always be surrounded by good people who genuinely care about you.
- We invest in growing our people—personally and professionally
- We offer unlimited vacation—and we mean it!
At The Muse, we believe that great ideas come from anywhere. We support a collaborative environment and value open participation from individuals with different ideas, experiences, and perspectives. We believe having a diverse team makes The Muse a more interesting and innovative place to work, and we strive every day to make The Muse a welcoming and inclusive place for all.
If this could be your dream job, please submit a cover letter and resume, so we can get to know you a little better.
Back to top