Director of Product, Consumer Growth & Engagement
The Muse strives to make work more human by being a trusted resource for millions of people as they seek career satisfaction—not just another job. Companies partner with The Muse as they look to attract and retain the best talent by living an authentic and compelling employer story. Our mission is to create meaningful connections between companies and candidates to make the world of work—from the job search to career development—more personal.
As the Director of Product, Consumer Growth & Engagement, you’ll support this mission by leading our consumer product experience on www.themuse.com. Every month, 6 million people visit The Muse for help with their careers. We offer a behind-the-scenes look at job opportunities with hundreds of companies, original career advice, community and discussions, and access to coaches to get more personalized career help. Ultimately, we believe that you can and should love your job—and be successful at it—and we want to help make that happen.
This role reports directly to the SVP, Product
How you’ll make an impact
- You’ll lead consumer product efforts across The Muse, including the entire consumer experience on www.themuse.com, focusing on goals to grow our engaged user base.
- The success of our employer product is directly connected to the consumer experience both on and off The Muse. You’ll contribute to goals around employer success on our platform by collaborating closely with our employer product team to improve the job-seeker/consumer-facing experiences we build for our clients.
- You’ll manage and develop a small team of product managers
- You’ll partner with our engineering and design teams to build the best consumer products and experiences possible.
- You’ll work closely with our data team on efforts to measure and increase consumer engagement
- You’ll regularly meet with stakeholders and partners across The Muse to ensure that ideas, feedback, and needs from all areas of the business are accounted for.
- Many of our consumer products and experiences are driven by content, like our Career Hubs. In this role, you’ll partner closely with our Content team to create end-user experiences and ensure the roadmap and planning for product and editorial are conceived and executed in tandem.
- You’ll work closely with our marketing team on growth and user acquisition strategies to drive usage of our consumer product.
Why we’ll love you
- You have 6+ years experience as a product manager in a tech or digital media environment, and have worked with engineers and designers on successful web product/feature launches. Experience working with remote teams a plus, but not required. Prior startup or high-growth experience a big plus!
- You have 3+ years experience working on successful and well-regarded consumer products. Prior experience with marketplaces is also desirable.
- You have experience managing and developing product managers. You’re supportive and fair, showing genuine interest in the well-being and success of your team.
- You have passion and empathy for job seekers—you’ve been there too and want to be a part of building a better experience.
- You're curious, know when you’re not at the bottom of the problem, and will scratch under the surface with the right questions to make sure we understand what we are building and why.
- You have exceptional critical reasoning and problem solving skills. You are able to lay out edge cases, identify dependencies, and lay out the if/then in any scenario. You likely find puzzles fun.
- You're flexible and comfortable with ambiguity, and know how to look at new considerations or data and determine if any changes need to be made.
- You're collaborative, diplomatic and humble, with outstanding written and verbal communication skills.
- You're hypothesis-driven, understand MVPs and intuitively think of what the easiest, smallest thing we can do to test a hypothesis would be.
- And finally, you understand that being a product manager carries the responsibility to make sure we're solving the most important problems, and that the best solutions for those problems are built within our constraints
Why you’ll love us
- You’ll be surrounded by a collaborative team that is working together to reshape the future of work
- You’ll work at a tech company founded by two badass women—Our founders believe transparency is important so they really try to share as much as they can about changes to The Muse strategy, board meetings, and when they are wrestling with big company-wide decisions.
- The Muse actually has—and sticks to—a “no assholes” policy, so you can come to work everyday knowing you will always be surrounded by good people who genuinely care about you.
- We invest in growing our people—personally and professionally
- We offer unlimited vacation—and we mean it!
At The Muse, we believe that great ideas come from anywhere. We support a collaborative environment and value open participation from individuals with different ideas, experiences, and perspectives. We believe having a diverse team makes The Muse a more interesting and innovative place to work, and we strive every day to make The Muse a welcoming and inclusive place for all.
If this could be your dream job, please submit a cover letter and resume, so we can get to know you a little better.
Meet Some of The Muse's Employees
Co-Founder & CEO
Kathryn and co-founder Alex Cavoulacos lead The Muse in helping job-seekers around the world find their dream careers—from launching a career coaching service to writing a book on The New Rules of Work.
Back to top