Director of Event Services
Departmental Administrative Functions
- Work with event managers to ensure budgets are updated and accurate on an ongoing basis; help them navigate scope change and level set expectations with projects when needed. Ensure finance has updated forecasts for all project events on a weekly basis.
- Responsible for all post-event reporting to be pulled together and delivered to stakeholders.
- Work with cross functional teams including finance, marketing, IT, PR and program management to ensure that the event services team is aligned with overall project efforts.
Event & Team Management
- Manage team of 8 with 3 direct reports. Coach and mentor the team; uncover new opportunities for growth and provide feedback as needed to ensure improvement as needed.
- Set a high standard and best practices across the team for delivering exceptional client and event experiences.
- Experience and ability to serve as an ‘event manager’ when needed.
- Manage team bandwidth and assign new events/projects where they best fit.
- Partner with executives and/or planning committees to create events that aligns with their business and revenue goals. Consult on initial concept, content and format, including guidance on the overall agenda, registration fees, sponsorship packages, event design.
- Work with Director of LF Events and VP of Events to collaborate on project participation in LF events and a One Team culture across both event groups, sharing best practices, processes etc.
Business Development & Project Oversight
- Pitch event services to new projects/clients; create proposals and contracts and follow up to completion
- Onboard new clients, and provide strategic guidance for events. Introduce logistics team when appropriate.
- Ongoing check-ins with projects and clients to ensure we are meeting their needs from a strategic and tactical perspective. Provide ongoing advice and feedback on their event programs.
- Manage scope creep and work directly with projects and clients to identify when this is happening and update services estimate to accurately reflect.
Required Skills & Experience
- 8+ years event management experience with hands on experience producing industry leading, multi-faceted events with multiple touch points. Previous experience working with 3rd party clients preferred. 3+ years managing a team.
- Previous experience working with high profile stakeholders and in navigating differing opinions and needs across stakeholders.
- Ability to adapt to challenges and opportunities with a solution-orientedperspective; excellent strategic thinking and critical-reasoning skills; ability to effectively deliver even with constantly changing scopes and/or ambiguous guidance from the client.
- Meticulous organizational abilities and concise and effective verbal and written communication are required; high attention to detail. Strong presentation and writing skills.
- Creative, positive energy, self-directed, amiable, and composed under pressure; helpful and humble. No task is beneath you.
- Strong computer experience: proficiency with Office, Google Docs, CRMs as well as event-specific software a plus.
- Previous experience working with codes of conduct and diversity programs for events a plus.
- Domestic and international travel required (approximately 10x a year).
- Must be comfortable working remotely (entire team works remotely).
See Inside the Office of The Linux Foundation
Together with the worldwide open-source community, The Linux Foundation aims to solve the hardest technology problems by creating the largest shared technology investment in history. By partnering with the world’s leading developers and companies and providing the necessary tools, training, and events to scale any open source project, the nonprofit's services help create vibrant ecosystems to support the long-term growth of numerous open source projects.
Back to top