Swim Instructor, Headfirst Summer Camps: 2018-1788
Reporting to the Aquatics Director, a Swim Instructor at Headfirst Summer Camps teaches swim lessons, supervises recreational swim, and ensures pool safety rules are followed at all times. The Headfirst Summer Camps Aquatics team brings the Headfirst Summer Camps’ mission to life by sharing their passion for the water and inspiring campers of every skill level to become stronger, more confident swimmers. Our Swim Instructors must be composed, capable, and committed to creating an atmosphere that emphasizes fun and safety while inspiring campers of every skill level to become stronger, more confident swimmers.
- Attend Counselor orientation and training days in late May and/or early June.
- Attend Aquatics specific training days in late May and/or early June.
- Participate in all required webinars and online trainings.
- Master the Headfirst Summer Camps’ aquatics curriculum, protocols, and schedule, offering feedback and adjustments that will improve the program.
- Submit all required paperwork on time.
- Implement the Aquatics curriculum, pool schedules, and safety protocols with energy, integrity, and passion.
- Provide campers of all skill levels with hands-on coaching, leading group and/or individual instruction on a daily basis.
- Provide campers with written and verbal feedback, including the timely completion of any assigned swim reports.
- Maintain order in the pool area, including in the locker rooms as necessary.
- Maintain a laser focus on pool safety.
- Serve as a role model for campers and fellow team members in demonstrating positive attitudes, respectful communication, appropriate attire and grooming, and a diligent work ethic.
- Work as part of a team to foster a safe, fun, and supportive camp environment grounded upon Headfirst Summer Camps’ mission and values.
- Build strong connections with campers, taking personal responsibility for the well-being, enjoyment, and skill development of aquatics program participants.
- Implement Headfirst Summer Camps’ traditions, games, and activities, and participate in all camp traditions, games, and competitions.
- Maintain enthusiasm and focus throughout busy days during which you will participate in every aspect of instructional and recreational swim.
- Communicate respectfully, clearly, and kindly with all members of the Headfirst Summer Camps community, including HQ, camp leadership, fellow team members, campers, and campers' families.
- Work in all weather conditions.
- Play a vital role in the efficiency and safety of AM/PM carpools.
- Participate in all required in-season trainings, webinars, and team meetings.
- Take responsibility for campers’ belongings while they are at the pool, holding items for safekeeping when necessary.
- Meet Headfirst Summer Camps dress code and appearance requirements, including requirements specific to the aquatics program.
- Communicate with parents as requested by leadership in order to provide customer connection and relay important information on camper experience.
- Attend all special events as assigned, facilitating activities, interacting with families and assisting with set up/clean up.
- Report any issue, question, or concern regarding the campers promptly to the Aquatics Director and/or Site Leader; notify appropriate leadership immediately of any evidence of substance abuse, child abuse, child neglect, severe medical conditions, individuals appearing to be under the influence of alcohol or controlled substances around campers, or any other potentially dangerous conditions or situation.
- Demonstrate ethical and professional behavior in working with campers, campers’ families, fellow team members, leadership, and facility partners while upholding the Headfirst Summer Camps core values at all times.
- Adhere to state law, Headfirst Summer Camps policies procedures, and protocols, and contractual obligations.
- Take on additional responsibilities as assigned by the Headfirst Summer Camps site leadership or HQ and not otherwise prohibited by law or regulation.
- At least 16 years old.
- CPR/First Aid Certification, or ability to obtain CPR/First Aid Certification before May 31, 2018.
- Comfort in the water and passion for sharing their love of swim with the next generation.
- Preferred: At least one year of experience as a coach or swim instructor.
- Ability to communicate effectively and respectfully at all times and in all situations.
- Ability to work well with a variety of age, interest, skill, and developmental levels.
- Ability to exercise good judgement, follow instructions, and properly implement Headfirst processes and policies in order to ensure the safety and emotional well-being of campers and team members.
- Ability to approach each day and its unique challenges with enthusiasm, patience, and a sense of humor.
- Ability to successfully complete a background check subject to applicable law.
- Ability to successfully perform all essential job functions (please note: this description reflects the current assessment of essential functions; it does not proscribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned). Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Please contact the Headfirst Summer Camps Talent Department for more information.
- An impassioned enterpriser who shares The Headfirst Companies’ core mission and values, and believes in our ability to work together to make a difference in the lives of children and young adults.
- A highly motivated self-starter who is autonomous and dependable.
- A team player who approaches professional hurdles with a strong sense of individual responsibility and a sincere emphasis on team over self.
- A consummate professional who has the ability to prioritize and multi-task, managing several projects concurrently, sometimes under pressure, and often with tight deadlines, while maintaining a positive attitude and professional demeanor.
- A vocal, energetic, and enthusiastic leader who possesses the charisma, passion, and polish to serve as an ambassador of The Headfirst Companies.
- A doer who has an entrepreneurial spirit and a focus on finishing the job every day.
- A problem-solver who assumes responsibility beyond what is asked, and takes initiative.
- A flexible, coachable, and down-to-earth teammate who has the desire and capacity to grow through self-reflection, and by both providing and receiving thoughtful, constructive performance feedback.
- A patient individual with a stellar sense of humor.
The Headfirst Companies are proud to be Equal Opportunity Employers.
Meet Some of The Headfirst Companies's Employees
Chief Operating Officer & General Counsel
Joey guides The Headfirst Companies’ strategic vision by determining paths for improvement and balancing continual growth with increasingly personalized programs.
Back to top