STEM Specialist, Headfirst Summer Camps: 2019-1996
The STEM Specialist for Headfirst Summer Camps will work on-site at our Bethesda, Maryland location as the STEM curriculum expert in our Day & Junior Day camps. Our curricula are formatted to be both camper-centered and purpose driven, allowing our youngest campers to experience the world through the power of play. Each week has a unique, immersive theme that is built to capture the imaginations of campers and counselors alike, and the STEM Specialist is instrumental in bringing these worlds to life. Reporting directly to the Day Camp Program Leader, they use their passion for the sciences to create formative experiences throughout the summer through hands-on projects and interactive demonstrations. Most importantly, the STEM Specialist is an understanding and collaborative team member who is willing to take the initiative to bring our Day Camp & Junior Day Camp curriculum and storylines to life.
What You'll Do:
- Make STEM Fun. You are the authority on all things related to our STEM projects in Day & Junior Day Camp and express your passion through projects, experiments, demonstrations and your interactions with campers. Whether by demonstrating the power of static electricity as a superpower or leading an exploration on the properties of surface tension, you foster a love for the sciences in all campers.
- Encourage Campers. As the youngest on site, our Day & Junior Day campers are often learning how to be independent for the first time. When necessary, you provide individualized attention and support, ensuring to meet each camper where they are in their developmental journey while encouraging them to take on new challenges.
- Think Strategically. Our curriculum is what sets us apart, and you naturally look for ways to innovate and improve upon what we have developed. By working closely with your Day Camp Program Leader, you anticipate challenges before they occur as well as appropriately communicate problems along the way.
- Communicate Positively. As a supporting member of the Day & Junior Day Camp programs, you are equally comfortable providing feedback to counselors and to your program management team. You understand the importance of speaking with empathy and tact, tailoring your communication to suit the needs of the situation.
- Handle the Curveballs. No two days are the same at Headfirst, and every member of our team will see unanticipated challenges come their way. You may be asked to help problem-solve, lend a hand with inter-departmental projects, and take on other responsibilities as needed.
- You have:
- Completed at least two (2) years at an accredited undergraduate institution.
- At least one (1) year of experience working with children.
- Housing in the DC-metropolitan area and transportation to the location of your employment.
- CPR & First Aid Certification or ability to complete CPR & First Aid Certification prior to June 1st, 2019.
- You are:
- Mission Driven. Here at Headfirst we’re inspired to make a difference in the lives of children and young adults everywhere and want you to be too.
- A Positive Leader. You will be working directly with fellow on-site leadership and headquarters team members, as well as setting the standard of excellence for other seasonal team members.
- Driven by the Details. You love organization and planning ahead and know that being effective in your role is tied to remembering the minor details.
- A Coachable, Motivated Teammate. You know what it means to go above and beyond the call of duty.
The Headfirst Companies are proud to be Equal Opportunity Employers.
Back to top