STEM Counselor, Headfirst Summer Camps: 2020-2249
- Chevy Chase, MD
Our STEM curriculum is designed for campers to explore and develop their interest in a variety of disciplines including robotics, coding, and environmental conservation. The week-long themes allow campers to dive deep into hands-on challenges and real-life application beyond the classroom. Reporting to the STEM Program Leader, STEM Counselors are patient, caring educators with a strong attention to detail, knowing that their work is pivotal to the success of our camp programming.
What You'll Do:
- Show Off the Sciences. STEM Camp covers a vast array of themes and projects, and you provide top-of-the-line enthusiasm through everything you do. While expertise related to specific aspects of our unique curriculum is not required, you must be willing to take on and learn new subject matter.
- Care for Campers. You work directly with campers throughout the summer and are responsible for allowing campers to develop their learning through hands-on exploration. By working closely with your STEM Program Leader, you will work to bring the best out of every camper throughout the summer.
- Contribute to the Community. As a counselor with Headfirst Summer Camps, you are part of something larger than yourself, and you thrive as part of a team. You know how your actions can directly impact everyone around you and are constantly looking for ways to collaborate with and build up your fellow counselors.
- Take on the Challenge of the Day. You will be responsible for your group throughout the day, keeping the emotional and physical safety of your campers as your priority. Due to the wide variety of abilities and interests captured by our STEM program, every camper has different criteria to set them up for success.
- Handle the Curveballs. No two days are the same at Headfirst, and every member of our team will see unanticipated challenges come their way. You may be asked to help problem-solve, lend a hand with inter-departmental projects, and take on other responsibilities as requested.
- You have graduated from high school or have equivalent educational experience. (If you are still in high school, please apply for our Junior Counselor role).
- You are mission-driven. Here at Headfirst, we’re inspired to make a difference in the lives of children and young adults everywhere, and we want you to be too.
- You are curious, flexible and ever-learning. You constantly seek out new ways to improve the eHeaheHeadfirst camper experience and your own contributions to it through continued refinement of your knowledge, skills & abilities.
- You are a self-starter. By approaching daily hurdles head on, you face every day with a natural sense of urgency and a sincere emphasis on team over self.
- You are a coachable and motivated teammate. You are a down-to-earth individual who has the desire and capacity to grow through experience, challenging yourself to go above and beyond the call of duty.
What You'll Gain:
- Adaptive Thinking. Thinking on the fly? You’ll get that at Headfirst – whether it’s adapting a project or knowing when to use a name-game, you’ll be best in class when it comes to thinking on your feet.
- Group Management. Here, you’re more than just a counselor. You will be the role model, superhero and leader for your group of campers by fostering an environment of growth and compassion.
- Exposure to a Professional Environment. So, we’re a little picky. We expect a lot of our team but give you as much in return through consistent feedback, fair expectations and values-based incentives.
- A Team like Family. There’s something about camp that brings people together. Here you’ll get to meet new friends, while forging stronger bonds with people you know.
The Headfirst Companies are proud to be Equal Opportunity Employers.
Back to top