Manager, Program Operations - Professional Sports Camps: 2020-2263
The Manager of Operations will contribute to all aspects of our Headfirst Professional Sports Camps programs including - Atlanta Braves Baseball Camps, Boston Red Sox Baseball Camps, Chicago Cubs Baseball Camps, New York Yankees Baseball Camps, Pittsburgh Pirates Baseball Camps, Washington Nationals Baseball & Softball Camps, D.C. United Soccer Camps and Atlanta Falcons Summer Camps. Primary responsibilities for this role will include program training and development, relationship management, budget ownership, as well as logistics and materials management. In this role, you will directly manage a full-time year-round Program Operations Associate as well as lead a team of seasonal team members. Your guidance will contribute through the full cycle of our Headfirst Professional Sports Camps from conception to planning to execution of our programming.
This role is integral to strengthening important, long-term relationships with key partners – including professional sports teams from Major League Baseball, Major League Soccer and the National Football League. This position is full-time, year-round and based at the Washington, D.C. headquarters office of The Headfirst Companies, but will involve travel to our nearby distribution and storage centers as well as our camp locations across the United States – primarily in June, July, and August.
The ideal Manager of Operations is a highly organized and detail-oriented leader and coach, who is enthusiastic about creatively solving complex problems and delivering exceptional experiences for young people. This individual will combine the emotional intelligence necessary to excel in mission-driven youth development with the business acumen critical to leading a program on the precipice of rapid growth.
What You'll Do:
- Relationship Management
- Communicate with key stakeholders and regularly manage team partnerships to ensure alignment in pre-camp and event preparation.
- Work with the internal marketing team to ensure messages to potential campers appropriately reflect the in-camp experience and align with the messaging of our team partners.
- Build and maintain vendor relationships for all programming needs.
- Ensure all legal, regulatory and licensing documents are filed, and then monitored for compliance and meet with various state and local licensing authorities as needed.
- Review the field and space allocation for programming at each of our partner facilities and ensure continued optimization with dynamic enrollment trends.
- Create camp schedules to optimize facility usage and respond to the unique needs of each of our sites.
- Lead an internal management team in project management of objectives and key results for the Professional Sports Camps Division.
- Program Training and Development
- Lead and manage the development of training programs to be delivered through various platforms for seasonal team members.
- Coordinate the efforts of Talent and Operations teams as well as HQ and on-site teams to deliver highly effective training – remotely, through live and recorded webinars as well as in person, via experiential training and interactive presentations.
- Collaborate with Talent to lead the recruitment, interviewing, and selection of well-qualified leadership staff and coaches, delegating certain, high-volume activities to our associates and seasonal leadership teams.
- Review operational policies, camp activities, and procedures and prioritize any areas of need for operations associate and seasonal leadership teams.
- Logistics and Materials Management
- Collaborate with the Director of Operations & Finance to ensure that orders for the summer are placed and in line with budgeting and timing needs.
- Collaborate with the Director of Operations & Finance and Program Operations Associate to ensure that mobilization and demobilization plans are appropriately prepared for all sites.
- Budget Ownership
- Execute against your annual budget, using tools and guidance provided by the finance and accounting team.
- Management and Training
- Lead on-site, virtual and remote training events for seasonal team members.
- Direct and allocate training resources and personnel to sites.
- Manage on-site quality control of program delivery, fostering high standards for camp operations, providing guidance to seasonal team members as needed – while simultaneously encouraging a culture of ownership.
- Gather real-time, in-season feedback from seasonal team members to provide suggestions for continuous improvement for both the current season and years to come.
- Measure progress and achievement of objectives and key results for the Professional Sports Camps Division.
- Logistics & Event Planning and Execution
- Collaborate with operations team/s to review the mobilization and demobilization of all camp locations; direct resources to sites as needed.
- Travel to multiple facilities and sites to ensure quality control – effective on-site management, adherence to our policies and support for our mission.
- Additional Responsibilities as Identified or Requested.
- Improvement and Innovation
- Synthesize operational data regarding facility utilization, program implementation and financial performance.
- Collaborate with the executive and management teams to establish divisional priorities for the upcoming summer.
- Develop objectives and key results for the Professional Sports Camps Division for the upcoming summer.
- Conduct follow-up with the operations associate, partner teams and facilities as needed to ensure alignment between pre-camp, event preparation and in-season execution.
- Work with partner teams to determine programming schedule for upcoming summer.
- Communicate with facility partners to determine schedule for upcoming summer.
- In collaboration with our internal marketing team, prepare and build out the registration platform for the upcoming summer.
- Budget Ownership
- Reconcile budget to actuals and report to Chief Financial Officer on the performance of your division.
- Create financial and operational summaries for each of our team partners.
- Collaborate with internal marketing team to develop enrollment expectations for the upcoming summer.
- Develop budget and spending expectations for the upcoming summer.
- Bachelor’s degree and a history of academic achievement.
- Minimum of four years relevant professional experience, with at least three years of experience in an operations role in a start-up or similar business environment preferred.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated experience managing and executing challenging operational details.
- Proven ability to improve efficiency while reducing costs.
- Demonstrated experience with MS Office, more specifically Excel, and various business software (e.g. ERP).
- Ability to perform heavy manual tasks under varying weather conditions.
- Highly organized and detail-oriented, with strong people management capabilities.
- Ability to build relationships and collaborate with individuals from a diverse array of backgrounds – internally and externally.
- Possession of the temperament and drive to excel within a high-growth environment and to work until the job is done each day.
- Strongly preferred: Experience in large-scale event management with extremely tight mobilization and demobilization windows.
- A solution oriented individual who shares The Headfirst Companies’ core mission, values, and believes in our ability to work together to make a difference in the lives of children and young adults.
- A motivated self-starter who is autonomous and dependable.
- A doer who has an entrepreneurial spirit and a focus on finishing the job every day.
- An independent thinker who assumes responsibility beyond what is asked and takes initiative for positive change.
- A consummate professional who has the ability to prioritize and multi-task, managing several projects concurrently, sometimes under pressure, and often with tight deadlines, while maintaining a positive attitude and professional demeanor.
- A team player who approaches professional hurdles with a strong sense of individual responsibility and a sincere emphasis on team over self.
- A humble and enthusiastic leader who possesses the passion and polish to serve as an ambassador of The Headfirst Companies.
- A flexible, coachable, and down-to-earth teammate who has the desire and capacity to grow through self-reflection, and by both providing and receiving thoughtful, constructive performance feedback.
The Headfirst Companies are Equal Opportunity Employers
Back to top