Manager, Operations: 2018-1862
The Manager of Operations will contribute to all aspects of our Headfirst Summer Camps line of business, with primary responsibilities in facility operations, materials management, event preparation, mobilization, budget oversight and strategy, logistics, as well as vendor and facility relationships. This role is based year-round at the Washington, D.C. headquarters office of The Headfirst Companies, but will be responsible for overseeing and implementing efficiency measures at our distribution center in Silver Spring, MD, and executing quality assurance measures at our Headfirst Summer Camps event locations in June, July, and August.
This position must provide the strategy, vision, daily management, and solution focus to redefine the expectations that families have for the organizations working with children across a multi-jurisdictional event platform.
- Build and maintain vendor partnerships for all programming materials.
- Oversee budgeting, reporting, planning, and auditing.
- Negotiate and purchase all camp materials necessary to execute industry-leading curricula, while ensuring budgeting compliance.
- Coordinate rentals and track on-site Headfirst technology at each camp, including radios, cell phones, iPads, inflatables, and other items.
- Oversee operations of a 4,300 square feet warehouse facility including quality assurance of all incoming and outgoing supplies and materials, inventory management, security, organization and layout.
- Develop, implement, and review operational policies and procedures.
- Communicate with, and manage partner facilities to ensure alignment in pre-camp and event preparation.
- Create camp schedules that optimize facility usage and are responsive to the intricacies of each camp site.
- Review the space allocation for camp programming at each of our partner facilities and ensure continued optimization with current enrollment trends.
- Create and propose space solutions for highly demanded camp programs as they hit existing capacities.
- Manage the development of purchasing systems and operating plans to help attain financial goals.
- Ensure all legal and regulatory documents are filed and monitor compliance with laws and regulations.
June through August:
- Assist at pre-summer training events.
- Manage the mobilization of all camp locations move-in and move-out, including scheduling and securing resources.
- Ensure quality control at the warehouse for the delivery of all materials to camp locations.
- Work with on-site leadership team during the camp season to anticipate, identify, and resolve all issues related to camp operations.
- Create and manage the demobilization plan for each camp location including facility coordination, the resources required, preparation of materials for pick-up and scheduling personnel.
- Create and manage the warehouse layout and design for incoming materials from camp locations.
- Create a project plan for the upcoming fall, winter and spring, for all warehouse operations including a timeline for organizing, inventorying, purchasing and packing camp materials.
- Take on additional responsibilities as identified or requested.
- Assess the success of summer, gathering and organizing financial, facility utilization and operational data.
- Identify key areas for operational, logistical, and/or financial improvement.
- Communicate with partner facilities to ensure alignment in pre-camp and event preparation.
- Establish and implement procedures for material management and delivery for the upcoming season.
- Propose new storage and organization solutions.
- Work with content and curriculum writers to ensure that warehouse operations (materials inventorying, ordering and packing) align with content finalization goals.
- Create an inventory system that allows for content writers to know which materials are available for use.
- Recommend operational improvements through continuous assessment and according to best practices.
- Develop forms and records to operationalize and document procedures to make data-driven decisions.
- Optimize space allocation for camp programming at each of our partner facilities.
- Mange warehouse the warehouse project plan and ensure inventory systems and processes and utilized and executed to the standards set.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- 3+ years’ experience in logistics, event management, or supply chain management.
- 2+ years’ experience in a leadership role with proven history of effective decision-making under stress.
- Demonstrated expertise in developing budgets, finance, balance sheets, P&L statements, and business plans.
- Proven ability to improve efficiency while reducing costs.
- Demonstrated experience with MS Office, more specifically Excel, and various business software (e.g. ERP).
- Working knowledge of data analysis and performance/operation metrics (i.e., Six Sigma).
- Ability to perform heavy manual tasks under varying weather conditions, including lifting 50+lbs.
- Highly organized and detail-oriented, with strong capabilities in people management and implementing and executing challenging operation details.
- Ability to build relationships and collaborate with individuals from a diverse array of backgrounds.
- Possession of the temperament and drive to excel within a start-up environment, and work until the job is done each day.
- Strongly preferred: Experience in large-scale event management with extremely tight mobilization and demobilization windows.
- Strongly preferred: BSc/BA in business administration, operations management, supply chain management or relevant field.
- A solution oriented individual who shares The Headfirst Companies’ core mission and values, and believes in our ability to work together to make a difference in the lives of children and young adults.
- A motivated self-starter who is autonomous and dependable.
- A doer who has an entrepreneurial spirit and a focus on finishing the job every day.
- An independent thinker who assumes responsibility beyond what is asked, and takes initiative for positive change.
- A consummate professional who has the ability to prioritize and multi-task, managing several projects concurrently, sometimes under pressure, and often with tight deadlines, while maintaining a positive attitude and professional demeanor.
- A team player who approaches professional hurdles with a strong sense of individual responsibility and a sincere emphasis on team over self.
- A humble and enthusiastic leader who possesses the passion and polish to serve as an ambassador of The Headfirst Companies.
- A flexible, coachable, and down-to-earth teammate who has the desire and capacity to grow through self-reflection, and by both providing and receiving thoughtful, constructive performance feedback.
The Headfirst Companies are Equal Opportunity Employers
Meet Some of The Headfirst Companies's Employees
Chief Operating Officer & General Counsel
Joey guides The Headfirst Companies’ strategic vision by determining paths for improvement and balancing continual growth with increasingly personalized programs.
Back to top