You are a driven and motivated problem solver ready to pursue meaningful work. You strive to make an impact every day & not only at work, but in your personal life and community too. If that sounds like you, then you've landed in the right place.
WHAT CAN YOU TELL ME ABOUT THIS POSITION?
As an in-house, remote Los Angeles Staff Attorney for The Hartford, you will join a collaborative environment where you will have direct contact with our Claims Professionals while working from home! This Staff Attorney will support our complex litigation team, which is responsible for providing top quality representation to Hartford insureds in litigated matters for some of our most complex and high exposure product liability, premises operations, auto, general liability and construction injury liability matters. The Staff Attorney will provide associate-level support to our senior complex litigation trial attorneys and be accountable for performing assigned tasks including, but not limited to:
- Analyze intricate substantive and procedural legal and factual issues
- Conduct extensive, well-reasoned legal research
- Draft pleadings, dispositive motions (e.g., motions for summary judgment, demurrers, motions to strike, etc.), discovery motions; discovery and discovery responses
- Compiling exhibits and reviewing documents; preparing memoranda that analyze evidence and recommend next steps; finding and coordinating with experts; conducting legal research and analysis; preparing trial documents, among other tasks
- Provide effective and timely communications, information, legal advice and other services to the senior attorneys on the complex litigation team, clients and claims customers on legal and factual issues in a technology driven environment
- Communicate with the court, witnesses, experts, opposing counsel and co-counsel in a manner consistent with established office procedures
- May take depositions, appear in court, attend client and expert meetings and assist with mediation, arbitration and trial.
- The candidate must have superior legal research and writing skills, attention to detail, organization skills, the ability to think strategically and a strong desire to collaborate with others and to be challenged in all aspects of their responsibilities.
WHAT ARE THE QUALIFICATIONS FOR THE POSITION?
- Minimum of 3 years of legal practice experience handling tort defense cases
- Knowledge of Los Angeles and Orange County court systems is highly desirable
- Member in good standing of California State Bar
- JD from accredited law school and license to practice in the state of California
- Strong legal research and writing skills (writing sample required)
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to prioritize duties and time are a must
- Strong communication, computer and technological skills and the ability to quickly leverage new software as required
- Demonstrated expertise and familiarity in the handling of claim cases and litigation
WHAT ELSE CAN YOU TELL ME?
This position is based in downtown Los Angeles with remote work opportunity, including travel for appearances in Southern California counties and possibly throughout the State.
For full-time, occasional, part-time or remote positions: (1) high speed broadband internet service is required, we do not recommend or support DSL, wireless, Wifi, Hotspots, Fiber without a modem and Satellite; (2) Internet provider supplied modem/router/gateway is hardwired to the Hartford issued computer with an ethernet cable; and (3) minimum upload/download speeds of 5Mbps/30Mbps will be required. To confirm whether your Internet system has sufficient speeds, please visit http://www.speedtest.net from your personal computer.
The listed annualized base pay range is primarily based on analysis of similar positions in the external market. Actual base pay could vary and may be above or below the listed range based on factors including but not limited to performance, proficiency and demonstration of competencies required for the role. The base pay is just one component of The Hartford's total compensation package for employees. Other rewards may include short-term or annual bonuses, long-term incentives, and on-the-spot recognition. The annualized base pay range for this role is:
$100,480 - $150,720
Equal Opportunity Employer/Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity or Expression/Religion/Age
About Us | Culture & Employee Insights | Diversity, Equity and Inclusion | Benefits
Staff Attorney - LM07EE