Special Assistant to the Principal
Why this job: The Equity Project (TEP) Charter School is seeking a Special Assistant to the Principal. By directly supporting TEP’s school leader, this individual will have an opportunity to play a critical role in the growth of a revolutionary school model that has been featured in The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal and on 60 Minutes for its radical investment in teachers and its outstanding results. This is an amazing opportunity for an individual who is seeking an intense, fun, on-the-ground learning experience that touches all aspects of urban education, including curriculum, instruction, operations, finance, and personnel.
Position overview: The Special Assistant to the Principal is focused on one overarching goal: to make the Principal a more efficient and effective leader by creating a capacity for him to focus on TEP’s most important priorities. The Special Assistant to the Principal manages the Principal’s daily communications, calendar, and workflow and works on special projects that extend from the Principal’s work. In so doing, the individual will need to represent the Principal effectively with TEP staff, families, and external visitors, exercise outstanding judgment on sensitive matters and support the Principal in triaging and troubleshooting day-to-day challenges.
- Strategically manage the Principal’s calendar by scheduling all meetings, events, and work-time, ensuring that time is allocated to balance immediate needs with long-term priorities
- Process all communications sent to the Principal by managing the Principal’s email, assessing the importance and urgency of messages, and supporting timely and effective responses
- Produce a daily memo for the Principal that delineates the Principal’s immediate action-items and long-term projects, summarizes all critical communications from the day, and provides an updated daily snapshot of key organizational data
- Execute special projects relating to initiatives that extend from the Principal’s work; these projects grow in scope as the individual develops organizational knowledge
- Advise the Principal with ideas to support organizational development and serve as a sounding board for the Principal regarding a range of topics
- Possesses unwavering integrity and trustworthiness; exercises sound judgment with a deep sensitivity to maintaining confidential information
- Excels at interpersonal relationships by listening attentively, building trust, communicating clearly, and interacting with others respectfully at all times
- Demonstrates very strong organizational skills and detail orientation, with a keen awareness that getting the details right is critical to organizational success
- Is a systems-oriented thinker who analyzes information thoughtfully and develops sustainable systems that promote efficiency and improve outcomes
- And . . . has a sense of humor!
Accountability: The Special Assistant to the Principal reports directly to TEP's Principal.
Compensation: The Special Assistant to the Principal earns a competitive annual salary in the range of $60K to $70K, based on the individual’s experience level. A robust benefits package includes medical, dental, vision insurance, a 403b retirement plan, STD, LTD and Life Insurance.
Back to top