- Englewood Cliffs, NJ
Why this job: Help shape the future of students in Washington Heights and Inwood by joining a successful and expanding school with a revolutionary model aimed at transforming public education.
Position Overview: Join The Equity Project (TEP) Charter School as part of the safety and facilities team! The Security Ambassador is responsible for maintaining a secure and safe environment for all students, employees, and visitors to TEP at one of our northern Manhattan campuses. Team members will also support facilities staff in campus operation and during special events.
- Greet all visitors to campus in a warm and professional manner always demonstrating exemplary customer service; request identification and maintain a visitor log of all visitors, announce visitors to main office and assist with directions.
- Communicate clearly and professionally via walkie or other means of communication.
- Work closely with school leadership and the Operations Manager to ensure that a smooth and safe arrival/dismissal procedure is maintained. Responsibilities include keeping school entrances and bus loading areas clear and crossing guard duties.
- Ensure all doors and gates are locked and that all alarms are engaged at designated times.
- Uphold high expectations for student conduct by using a positive approach and work closely with the social work team to provide behavioral support as needed.
- Maintain orderly hallways and campus grounds to ensure that all areas are safe and secure; report any security breaches to Operations Manager.
- Assist staff, police and emergency personnel in handling emergencies or disruptive situations that may arise on campus.
- Help in daily operational duties as needed, such as supporting with school food distribution, event setup and breakdown and keeping main entrances litter free.
- Participate in all safety procedures including fire drills and lockdown drills. Serve as a member of TEP’s Building Response Team.
- Arrive to work on time in full uniform ready to work.
- Bilingual in English and Spanish preferred
- Graduation from high school or equivalency diploma
- Three years of security experience, preferably in a school setting
- Completion of a security guard training course approved by the New York State Department of Criminal Justice or equivalent
- Must obtain clearance for employment from the State Educational Department based upon a fingerprint and criminal history background check
- Is willing to work overtime hours during the week, stay late occasionally for school events as needed and possibly some hours over weekends as needed
- Excellent communication and conflict resolution skills with a capacity to connect appropriately with children and their parents
- Ability to stand or patrol for long periods of time in all types of weather; must be able to lift approximately 30 pounds
Compensation: Hourly rate in the range of $17 to $20 per hour based on the individual's experience level, with weekly daytime shift hours varying between 35 to 40 hours per week along with occasional weekends and overtime work. Paid sick and holiday time may be used after 120 days of employment. Medical, Vision and Dental plans are available. TEP also offers a retirement plan, life insurance, Dependent Care FSA and other benefits.
Back to top