Underwriter Job in Auburn Hills, MI | Auto Club Group
The Auto Club Group (ACG) provides membership, travel, insurance and financial services offerings to approximately 9 million members and customers across 11 states and 2 U.S. territories through the AAA, Meemic and Fremont brands. ACG belongs to the national AAA federation and is the second largest AAA club in North America.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
Works under minimal supervision with an intermediate-level approval authority to review, accept, reject or modify new and renewal business for moderately complex to complex Personal Lines policies while ensuring a profitable personal book of business. Reviews risk acceptability to make objective decisions based on underwriting guidelines; ensuring standards for state compliance regulations are met. Uses creativity and underwriting knowledge to manage risks and retain business. Refers the most complex or higher level coverage reviews to senior staff or Supervisor.
Builds and maintains on-going relationships with agents with the goals of: educating agents on underwriting philosophy, providing updates on changes to products, services, processes and procedures, communicating compliance related concerns and discussing quality of submissions. Activities include: receiving inbound calls from agents, making outbound calls to agents and traveling to agent offices Reviews loss ratios and growth for agents when evaluating and making agency exceptions. Works with agents to correct errors. May change deductibles, increase premiums, cancel policies or recommend that an agent receive additional training or counseling when necessary. Reports non-compliant or unethical agent behavior.
Partners with Agency Performance Management team and Territory Managers to identify trends and patterns that might create problems. Collaborates with underwriting operations, sales, claims, and other business units to make recommendations regarding products, systems and performance as appropriate.
May assist in the training/mentoring of less experienced staff. May participate in special project teams and department initiatives.
• Bachelor's degree in Business Administration or a related field
• CPCU, CIC, IIA or other insurance related designation
- Working in a multi-state underwriting or sales environment to include independent agencies
- Multi-state insurance regulations and practices
- Knowledge of The Auto Club Group's property/casualty insurance products and processing procedures
- ISO or similar bureau rating systems
- Experience in Teleprocessing
- Attain (within 30 days of hire) and maintain all appropriate state property and casualty insurance producer licenses
- IMS/POS experience with insurance transactions
Work Environment :
Works in a temperature-controlled office environment. Less than 10% of your time is spent travelling to agent locations.
Required Qualifications (these are the minimum requirements to qualify):
Education (include minimum education and any licensing/certifications):
• College level coursework in Business Administration or a related field, or equivalent work experience
- Working in an underwriting or sales environment to include independent agencies
• Negotiating and resolving conflict
• Demonstrating proficiency with Microsoft Office software applications
- Underwriting policies, procedures and practices
- Property and casualty insurance terminology, contracts and forms
- State insurance regulations and practices
- Inspection techniques related to property and casualty insurance
- Insurance processing systems (i.e., IPM, Sales & Service Portal, PCMS or similar)
• Fair Credit Reporting Act as it relates to insurance
• Evaluate, accept, modify, reject or cancel personal lines risks in accordance with the underwriting guidelines
• Evaluate third party documentation to determine the level of risk to which the Company will be exposed
• Make exceptions to guidelines where appropriate without risking the Company's profitability or violating compliance regulations
• Build, maintain and manage producer and customer relationships
• Collaborate and communicate effectively both verbally and in writing with key business partners
• Identify and report non-compliant or unethical agent behavior
• Work under pressure with a strong attention to detail, completing tasks by taking decisive or quick action
- Prepare and present unit activity reports and recommendations to management
The Auto Club Group offers a competitive compensation and benefits package including a base salary with performance based incentives; medical/dental/vision insurance, 401(k), generous time off, a complimentary AAA Membership and much more!
The Auto Club Group, and all of its affiliated companies, is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
Back to top