Supervisor, Underwriting Operations
The Auto Club Group (ACG) provides membership, travel, insurance and financial services offerings to approximately 9 million members and customers across 11 states and 2 U.S. territories through the AAA, Meemic and Fremont brands. ACG belongs to the national AAA federation and is the second largest AAA club in North America.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities (details of the basic job functions):
Leads a team of Underwriting staff comprised of Underwriters and Analysts to meet overall role, department and company objectives. Positively impacts organizational profitability through effective management of rate to risk. Conducts frequent performance quality reviews to ensure adherence to policies, procedures and regulations. Acts as a liaison between Underwriting Operations and field/sales personnel for resolution of problems, discrepancies, or questions and monitors results of book roll operations to improve close ratios. Coordinates and approves the activities of assigned trainees. Participates in Department analyses and project work (including some vendor relationship responsibilities) in addition to training and auditing.
Develops recommendations for new or improved operating procedures and practices supporting or impacting upon the activities of assigned personnel.
Serves as department liaison on cross-functional business team(s). Works closely with claims special investigative unit and legal
Ensures the Claim Legal staff receives certified copies of policy documents, declaration pages and amendment forms, ensuring the claim legal staff receives certified copies of policy documents as they prepare for trial. Revises or develops processes and procedures for areas of responsibility. Develops and maintains key performance metrics to measure the productivity and impact of areas of assigned responsibility. Participates in the department process related to the selection, hiring, training and development, coaching and counseling of assigned staff. Prepares and administers performance reviews.
Supervises and coordinates activities of staff members engaged in the formal examination of underwriters, support staff and sales personnel; reporting findings to various levels of corporate management. Manages programs designed to monitor adherence to field underwriting rules, procedures and statutory requirements for voluntary and residual market business. Provides oversight to the review of current underwriting procedures, test proposals and programs developed by Product Support. Working closely with ISD and Actuarial, supervises the development of source data for examinations. Serves as a subject matter expert, supporting the development and implementation of training and instructional programs for underwriters, support staff, sales representatives and other corporate personnel. Provides oversight to the development and implementation of centralized rating accuracy and surcharge review activities.
Supervises the formal performance review of line underwriters and support staff functions to determine compliance with filed underwriting rules and requirements. Analyzes and reports findings to senior levels of corporate management and provides oversight to the evaluation of output quality at several levels for all property/casualty insurance product lines.
Supervises and coordinates the activities of assigned staff whose primary role is to research all coverage disputes identified at the first notice of loss. Monitors the quality of staff performance and assists in resolving matters requiring escalation. Ensures that coverage disputes are adequately tracked, analyzed, and communicated to key business partners (e.g. Sales and Claims) so opportunities for improvement across the organization are recognized, assessed and acted upon.
Serves as a liaison between Underwriting and Claims, ensuring the Claim staff receives copies of key policy documents, declaration pages and amendment forms. Ensures the Claim Legal staff receives certified copies of policy documents as they prepare for trial. Revises or develops processes and procedures for areas of responsibility. Develops and maintains key performance metrics to measure the productivity and impact of areas of assigned responsibility.
Participates in the department process related to the selection, hiring, training and development, coaching and counseling of assigned staff. Prepares and administers performance reviews.
Supervisory Responsibilities (briefly describe, if applicable, or indicate None):
Supervises a team of Underwriters, underwriting analysis and support staff. Leads, mentors, and trains staff to reach productivity and quality goals and improve processes.
- Supervisory experience
Works in a temperature-controlled office environment.
Required Qualifications (these are the minimum requirements to qualify):
Education (include minimum education and any licensing/certifications):
College-level coursework in Business Administration or a related field.
Experience (All positions):
Experience in all areas of personal lines to include knowledge of:
- Company property/casualty insurance contracts and forms, programs, products and processing procedures
- Company underwriting policies, procedures and practices
- Inspection techniques related to property/casualty insurance
- Essential Insurance
- Fair Credit Reporting Act as it relates to insurance
Knowledge and Skills (all positions):
- Organization and planning
- Analyzing and problem solving
- Decision making
- Coordinating and controlling major projects
- Preparing and presenting reports to management
- Communicating effectively with others in a work environment and with the public
- Analyzing current programs to revise and/or develop new underwriting methods to ensure accurate eligibility and rating verification
Also include for the indicated Business Units:
Underwriting Operations (including Freemont):
- Knowledge of and experience with Software programs related to underwriting and processing
- Quantitative measurement: loss rations, production results and expense reports
- Managing multiple locations (some may be out of state)
- Ensuring that the unit develops and maintains effective business relationships with internal partners and external clients.
- Fostering an environment of collaboration and partnerships with peers, Claims, Legal and other areas to streamline process/procedures.
- Monitoring impact of implemented changes and adjust accordingly
- Improving business quality and profitability through innovative review practices and process improvements
- Facilitating the development and implementation of new programs and changes to existing ones to strengthen customer relations
- Knowledge of Software programs related to underwriting and processing
- Analyzing work performance to identify concerns and recommend enhancements to increase efficiency, productivity and overall quality of work
- Insurance systems (e.g. IPM, Legacy)
- Ability to coordinate with Claims and/or other departments to resolve or communicate coverage decisions
The Auto Club Group offers a competitive compensation and benefits package including a base salary with performance based incentives; medical/dental/vision insurance, pension, 401(k), generous time off, a complimentary AAA Membership and much more!
Important Note: The above statements describe the principal and essential functions, but not all functions that may be inherent in the job. This job requires the ability to perform duties contained in the job description for this position, including, but not limited to, the above requirements. Reasonable accommodations will be made for otherwise qualified applicants, as needed, to enable them to fulfill these requirements.
The Auto Club Group, and all of its affiliated companies, is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
Meet Some of The Auto Club Group's Employees
ERS Product Specialist
Sabri assists Auto Club Group members in need of emergency roadside assistance, providing the relief they require by sending mechanic services and offering a little laughter.
Back to top