Service Vehicle Operator 1
The Auto Club Group (ACG) provides membership, travel, insurance and financial services offerings to approximately 9 million members and customers across 11 states and 2 U.S. territories through the AAA, Meemic and Fremont brands. ACG belongs to the national AAA federation and is the second largest AAA club in North America.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities (details of the basic job functions):
Operates tow trucks or light service vehicles to provide Emergency Road Service (ERS) to AAA members as requested. Receives call information (location of disabled vehicle) from the Customer Interaction Center and responds to the scene of disablement. Identifies the problem, verifies possession of valid AAA membership card, and provides service (tire changes, fuel delivery, battery jumpstarts, minor mechanical adjustments, battery installations, lockout service, etc.) in accordance with established procedures. Arranges for/tows vehicle, following specific instructions from the tow manual, when the vehicle cannot be started or is unsafe to drive. Conducts routine maintenance checks and cleans the service vehicle on a regular basis.
Provides ERS support at special events as requested (Thanksgiving Day parade, etc.). Tracks/records all daily activities by completing call logs, vehicle logs, receipts, etc.
Reports all driving infractions to supervisor.
- Prior tow truck driver experience.
- Commercial driving experience.
- Roadside service experience.
- Customer service experience.
- Training or experience in automotive repair.
Provides roadside service to AAA members. Works primarily out of office with frequent (up to 95% of work time) exposure to road hazards and temperature extremes. Spends less than 5% of the time in a temperature controlled office environment.
Required Qualifications (these are the minimum requirements to qualify):
- Possession of a valid state driver's license and clean MVR
- Knowledge of minor automotive repair and maintenance
- Safely operate a full-size or mini service van or tow truck and applicable service equipment to assist AAA members, employees and other motorists
- Safely operate a wheel lift, flatbed, dolly towing equipment and full-size or mini service vehicle and applicable service equipment
- Service disabled vehicles by providing fuel, jumpstarts, lockout service, and changing/inflating flat tires, cleaning/replacing battery terminals, diluting battery acid residue as appropriate
- Determine cause of non-starting vehicles, sell and install batteries as appropriate
- Lift material weighing up to seventy-five (75) pounds
- Read and follow instructions in a tow manual
- Read a map and locate street numbers/intersections within an acceptable time limit.
- Read and interpret emergency road service rules and benefits
- Use a cellular telephone and operate a two way radio system
- Prepare simple reports
- Keep equipment clean and orderly
- Communicate effectively with others in a work environment and with the public
- Successfully complete drug screening, MVR and criminal background check, and DOT health screen
- Maintain accurate records
- Work independently of supervision
- Perform basic mathematic calculations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication and division
- Successfully complete training programs (i.e. AAA Customer College, Emergency Road Service policies and procedures, etc.)
- Support team efforts in order to achieve departmental performance goals
- Willingness and ability to work irregular hours, weekends, holidays and special events as required.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills.
- Willingness to work outdoors in adverse weather conditions.
The Auto Club Group offers a competitive compensation and benefits package including a base salary with performance based incentives; medical/dental/vision insurance, pension, 401(k), generous time off, a complimentary AAA Membership and much more!
Important Note: The above statements describe the principal and essential functions, but not all functions that may be inherent in the job. This job requires the ability to perform duties contained in the job description for this position, including, but not limited to, the above requirements. Reasonable accommodations will be made for otherwise qualified applicants, as needed, to enable them to fulfill these requirements.
The Auto Club Group, and all of its affiliated companies, is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
Back to top