Senior Commercial Lines Underwriter
The Auto Club Group (ACG) provides membership, travel, insurance and financial services offerings to approximately 9 million members and customers across 11 states and 2 U.S. territories through the AAA, Meemic and Fremont brands. ACG belongs to the national AAA federation and is the second largest AAA club in North America.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities (details of the basic job functions):
Reviews, accepts, declines or modifies offerings submitted by producers for multiple/various commercial line coverage. Evaluates risks according to location, physical and moral hazards, inspection reports, underwriting precedent and experience, ensuring compliance with underwriting rules, guidelines and company philosophy throughout the process. Reviews information received regarding risks including inspection reports and credit reports and verifies application data through the use of investigative letters, commercial inspections and/or personal observation. Reviews inspection reports and claims for rating on acceptability status and recommends risk improvement as appropriate. Initiates potential policy coverage or rating revisions as a result of analysis and recommends and approves continuation, cancellation, non-renewal or rejection of applications or policies in accordance with established underwriting procedures, laws and judgment.
Exercises discretionary judgment when evaluating new or renewal high-value commercial underwriting application policies and evaluates the merits of each line of insurance based on current laws or level of underwriting expertise to accept or reject the risk presented. Corresponds with outside insurance companies, business organizations, governmental agencies, or other contacts to develop procedures or to properly evaluate risks. Communicates and develops relationships with field representatives and other insurance personnel to obtain further information, rate quotes or explain company underwriting policies
Train and educate agency staff on company products, services, processes and underwriting philosophy. Train, coach and serve as a technical resource to other underwriters. Provide mentorship that encourage individuals and the team to improve and accelerate performance.
Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree Business Administration or related field
- Completion of an underwriting certification/designation (CPCU)
Works in a temperature controlled office environment.
Required Qualifications (these are the minimum requirements to qualify):
Education (include minimum education and any licensing/certifications):
High School Diploma or equivalent
- Three years commercial insurance experience
- Working in a commercial underwriting environment
- Inspection techniques related to commercial insurance
- Working with mathematical concepts including fractions, ratios, statistics and probabilities
Knowledge and Skills:
- Commercial insurance contracts and forms
- Insurance laws as they relate to commercial underwriting
- Company commercial insurance programs and products, underwriting rules and requirements
- Processing procedures and rules
- ISO or similar bureau rating systems (Regional Operations)
- Organization and planning
- Negotiating, analyzing and problems solving
- Independent decision making
- Written communication skills to include reports and technical writing.
- Analyze and interpret commercial inspection
- Provide work direction, guidance and training
- Coordinate and control major projects
- Communicate effectively with others in a work environment, policyholders, vendors and regulators
The Auto Club Group offers a competitive compensation and benefits packages including a base salary with performance based incentives; medical/dental/vision insurance, pension, 401(k), generous time off, a complimentary AAA Membership and much more!
Important Note: The above statements describe the principal and essential functions, but not all functions that may be inherent in the job. This job requires the ability to perform duties contained in the job description for this position, including, but not limited to, the above requirements. Reasonable accommodations will be made for otherwise qualified applicants, as needed, to enable them to fulfill these requirements.
The Auto Club Group, and all of its affiliated companies, is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
Meet Some of The Auto Club Group's Employees
ERS Product Specialist
Sabri assists Auto Club Group members in need of emergency roadside assistance, providing the relief they require by sending mechanic services and offering a little laughter.
Back to top