Payroll Services Specialist Job in Dearborn, MI | Auto Club Group
The Auto Club Group (ACG) provides membership, travel, insurance and financial services offerings to approximately 9 million members and customers across 11 states and 2 U.S. territories through the AAA, Meemic and Fremont brands. ACG belongs to the national AAA federation and is the second largest AAA club in North America.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
Perform a wide variety of record keeping and complex payroll processing activities, including wage, overtime, bonus and commissions payments using an in-house payroll system for employees that are non-exempt, exempt, full & part-time within multiple states and localities in a timely and accurate manner. Process off-cycle payment requests, ensuring appropriate approvals have been received prior to submission to Payroll Management. Process terminations according to applicable state and local laws to ensure ACG compliance. Responsible for the import of multiple bonus/commission, earning and deduction files onto employee's paychecks and validating all data was accurately loaded using balancing spreadsheets. Create and maintain complex balancing spreadsheets. Researches and corrects all out-of-balance situations independently within tight payroll deadlines. Review and correct all system-generated payroll errors to ensure accurate payment to employees. Process imputed income files for reporting on employee's W2. Maintain and update knowledge of general payroll practices, regulations and compliance issues.
Maintain confidentiality and respects privacy of employee's information related to pay, hours worked, overtime and premiums. Maintain related confidential information for leave of absence, benefits, employee relations issues, investigations, transfers and communications. Must be experienced in entering data with attention to detail and have excellent math skills to make necessary calculations. Responsible for processing Time & Labor and payroll changes, maintaining appropriate payroll files and responding to employee and management inquiries regarding paychecks. Prepare ad hoc reports in response to requests from users within other departments. Follow up with various department supervisors with questions on missing, inaccurate or incomplete Time & Labor entries and/or Absence Management entries.
- Associate's degree in Business Administration or a related field.
- Completion of Certified Payroll Professional (CPP) designation within one year of employment or when eligibility is acquired (based on American Payroll Association guidelines).
- PeopleSoft payroll processing
- payroll processing environment
- Technical writing skills (A writing sample may be required at time of interview.)
- Payroll tax issues
- ACG payroll/personnel system
- wage laws (e.g. payment of overtime earnings)
Works in a temperature controlled office environment.
Intermediate college level coursework in Accounting or Finance.
Upon hire, agree to sit for and pass the Fundamental Payroll Professional (FPC) exam and achieve certification within one year of employment.
Extensive experience in an automated processing environment to include:
- auditing, balancing and reconciling data
- automated in-house payroll systems
- end to end in-house payroll processing, including check printing and submission of direct deposit files
- analyzing processing procedures to identify and correct errors
- managing workflow to ensure all payroll transactions are processed accurately and timely by reviewing wages computed and correcting errors
- understanding of proper taxation of employee benefits
- wage laws (e.g. payment of overtime earnings and FLSA requirements)
- processing manual checks
- Communicate effectively with others in a work environment
- Lead and coordinate work projects
- Write program specifications including system flowcharts and documentation
- Perform complex mathematical calculations
- Analyze and solve problems
- Accounting principles and procedures
The Auto Club Group offers a competitive compensation and benefits package including a base salary with performance based incentives; medical/dental/vision insurance, 401(k), generous time off, a complimentary AAA Membership and much more!
Important Note: The above statements describe the principal and essential functions, but not all functions that may be inherent in the job. This job requires the ability to perform duties contained in the job description for this position, including, but not limited to, the above requirements. Reasonable accommodations will be made for otherwise qualified applicants, as needed, to enable them to fulfill these requirements.
The Auto Club Group, and all of its affiliated companies, is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
Back to top