Manager, Statistical Modeling Job in Dearborn, MI | Auto Club Group
- Dearborn, MI
The Auto Club Group (ACG) provides membership, travel, insurance and financial services offerings to approximately 9 million members and customers across 11 states and 2 U.S. territories through the AAA, Meemic and Fremont brands. ACG belongs to the national AAA federation and is the second largest AAA club in North America.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
Manage statistical modeling activities and processes within an assigned unit. Manage the team responsible for designing, testing, validating and implementing predictive models. Monitor processes related to formulating, testing, interpreting validating and maintaining simple to complex mathematical ratemaking models and analyzing simple to highly complex insurance risk factors using mathematical and computational concepts to create models. Use in-depth knowledge and broaden experience to provide technical guidance and leadership to team of modelers working on multiple research projects. Supervise and develop less experienced modelers.
Maintain positive work relationships with operational, corporate or external partners. Initiate and lead discussions with senior management regarding project needs assessments, research results and the associated impact on operations. Work with senior leadership and staff to conduct project needs assessments to determine the best approach. Translate high-level business needs and key initiatives into appropriate problem scenarios for research and modeling. Review and approve results and recommendations. Use modeling results to provide recommendations regarding the strategic direction and final decisions on projects that will have a significant long-term impact on obtaining project, business unit and corporate objectives
Administer corporate and departmental policies and procedures within assigned team. Monitor results to ensure that standards are maintained and consistent with strategic goals and objectives. Ensure an understanding of methodologies and modeling techniques used to develop recommendations and reports. Recommend and implement improvements to processes and services provided. Create and monitor departmental budgets.
Maintain up-to-date knowledge of industry research, developments, changing trends and jurisdictional issues. Review and ensure the maintenance of detailed documentation of advanced analytics projects.
Manage or serve as an advisor on one or more high-level corporate/departmental projects. Assist management and actuarial team in improving methods, analysis and data gathering techniques.
Participate in the process of selecting, hiring, training, development, counseling and disciplining assigned staff in accordance with corporate Human Resource policies and procedures. Manage a team of Statistical Modelers and support staff.
- Doctoral Degree in Statistics or related field
- seven years of insurance-related statistical/predictive modeling experience; all or part of relevant work experience should be in performing or leading advanced analytic work in the property casualty insurance industry
- experience in personal lines Property and Casualty with specific focus on actuarial research
- Master's degree in Mathematics, Actuarial Science, Statistics or a related field
- Five years of insurance-related statistical/predictive modeling experience; all or part of relevant work experience should be in performing or leading advanced analytic work in the property casualty insurance industry
- Experience in documenting and presenting results of modeling projects to senior management
- Advanced quantitative analysis
- Advanced mathematical or statistical research
- Formulating and interpreting complex mathematical rate making models
- Completing complex actuarial research relating to insurance operations
- Preparing reports and exhibits for senior management review
- Coordination and execution of high-level projects
- Analysis of technical studies and data and draw sound conclusions
Knowledge and Skills:
- Advanced knowledge of predictive modeling techniques and principles
- Advanced knowledge of SAS, SQL, Emblem, R or similar data mining application
- Solid understanding of programming, database and data mining principles
- Ability to research and utilize new programming and modeling techniques
- Ability to apply new statistical procedures
- Demonstrate strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Create advanced programs from ground up
- Manage the development of advanced predictive models
- Manage a team of modelers
- Document and present results of modeling projects to senior management
- Make oral presentations to business units
- Represent the department on inter-department teams
- Communicate effectively with others in a work environment both orally and in writing
The Auto Club Group offers a competitive compensation and benefits package including a base salary with performance based incentives; medical/dental/vision insurance, 401(k), generous time off, a complimentary AAA Membership and much more!
Important Note: The above statements describe the principal and essential functions, but not all functions that may be inherent in the job. This job requires the ability to perform duties contained in the job description for this position, including, but not limited to, the above requirements. Reasonable accommodations will be made for otherwise qualified applicants, as needed, to enable them to fulfill these requirements.
The Auto Club Group, and all of its affiliated companies, is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
Back to top