Legal Secretary - Located at Troy Legal Office
The Auto Club Group (ACG) provides membership, travel, insurance and financial services offerings to approximately 9 million members and customers across 11 states and 2 U.S. territories through the AAA, Meemic and Fremont brands. ACG belongs to the national AAA federation and is the second largest AAA club in North America.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities (details of the basic job functions):
Under general direction provides secretarial support to one or more assigned attorneys or staff members; located in Troy Legal Office. Maintains filing systems and records using case management software. Types and transcribes memos, letters, charts, legal documents and related correspondence for assigned staff. Composes correspondence as required. Answers the telephone and makes calls in a professional and confidential manner. Routes telephone calls as necessary and takes detailed messages. Schedules and records all appointment dates for attorney meetings such as depositions and court hearings. Maintains appointment calendar and informs attorney of dates. Confirms attendance of involved parties. Works with other secretaries and paralegals as part of a team to complete joint projects
Establishes and maintains a series of files for each case or matter along with a corresponding electronic diary system. Advises staff or management regularly regarding items requiring attention or action. Initiates and completes routine forms required by courts, plaintiff's attorney, etc. and submits them on a timely basis. Reviews other correspondence for key dates and names. Records pertinent information and files. Determines what mail should be referred to the attorney or to other client departments.
Processes all invoices from outside counsel and ensures proper and timely payment. Track outside counsel payments via electronic database. Prepares check requests for settlement/court checks. Maintains own records of all transactions.
Contacts other business clients or attorneys regarding adjournments and court cases, informs clients of court dates, responds to inquiries regarding case information and coordinates case peculiarities with court personnel (scheduling of motions, adjournments, miscellaneous hearings).
Prepares internal office correspondence, legal opinions, etc. Maintains files required by attorneys.
Contacts appropriate organizations as directed to obtain medical records or related documents useful to the case.
Closes settled files.
Assists receptionist clerk/mail clerk as necessary.
- Legal Secretary and business experience
- Medical terminology
- Business or insurance terms
Works in a temperature controlled office environment.
Required Qualifications (these are the minimum requirements to qualify):
Education (include minimum education and any licensing/certifications):
- High School Diploma or the equivalent
Administrative experience in/with:
- Organization and planning
- Tracking and entering bill payments from vendors in an electronic database
- Scheduling appointments, meetings, agendas, itineraries and work priorities
- Researching and summarizing information utilizing research software
- Compiling, reviewing and interpreting requests for information and data
- Extensive experience utilizing P.C. software applications (e.g. Microsoft Office Suite, VISIO )
Required Knowledge and Skills:
- Legal and business terminology
- Legal/court procedures
- Accurately type 50 wpm
- Excellent grammar and spelling skills
- Telephone etiquette and procedures
- Format and prepare letters, memos and reports
- Establish and maintain files
- Receive and assist visitors
- Communicate effectively with the public and others in a work environment
- Maintain a diary system
- Prepare legal documents for litigation
- Research and summarize information
- Compose routine correspondence
- Organize and prioritize numerous tasks and complete them under time constraints
The Auto Club Group offers a competitive compensation and benefits packages including a base salary with performance based incentives; medical/dental/vision insurance, pension, 401(k), generous time off, a complimentary AAA Membership and much more!
Important Note: The above statements describe the principal and essential functions, but not all functions that may be inherent in the job. This job requires the ability to perform duties contained in the job description for this position, including, but not limited to, the above requirements. Reasonable accommodations will be made for otherwise qualified applicants, as needed, to enable them to fulfill these requirements.
The Auto Club Group, and all of its affiliated companies, is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
Back to top