Home Loan Government\/Conventional Underwriter
- St. Petersburg, FL
The Auto Club Group (ACG) provides membership, travel, insurance and financial services offerings to approximately 13.5 million members and customers across 13 states and 2 U.S. territories through the AAA, Meemic and Fremont brands. ACG belongs to the national AAA federation and is the second largest AAA club in North America.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
Underwrite various types of residential real estate secured loans including FHA and VA loans. Serve as a subject matter expert in residential, FHA and VA underwriting by providing high-level insight and guidance related to assigned loans. Maintain advanced, in-depth working knowledge of FHA, VA loan underwriting requirements, as well as agency (Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac) underwriting guidelines. Able to handle complex loans with specific investor guideline overlays, and industry trends related to loan underwriting and home equity lending. Maintain a familiarity with FHA and VA processing requirements. Responsible for reviewing, analyzing and auditing complex residential real estate loan transactions for data input accuracy, regulatory compliance, document requirements and compliance with investor guidelines. Complete cash flow analysis to determine the borrower's cash flow and the overall financial condition of the borrower (i.e.; financial statements, credit reports, applicable rations, etc.). Utilize manual and automated underwriting to determine appropriate conditions and loan decisions according to investor requirements. Review collateral/property appraisals to ensure the documents meet all investor requirements. Ensure integrity of all state and federal regulations affecting the underwriting and issuance of mortgage credit to borrowers while providing a final line of defense for loan guideline and regulatory compliance. Approve loans up to lending authority, review and sign off secondary market loan denials. Escalate loans above authority for appropriate review.
Provide input into the development and/or revision of department procedures related to processing residential real estate loans. Participate in operational initiatives/projects, benchmarks and metrics reviews focused on meeting department objectives. Assist lower level Underwriters and processing/closing staff when necessary.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university
- Work in a temperature-controlled office environment. Willingness and ability to work flexible hours and overtime.
- Eligible to work remotely or at home
- College coursework in Business Administration or a related field
- Must currently have and maintain in good standing, a CHUMS ID number and/or a VA LAPP/SAR designation
- Residential mortgage underwriting of first mortgages sold in the secondary market
- Underwriting Conventional (conforming and jumbo), FHA, VA and/or USDA loans
- Underwriting of all types of loans for sale in the secondary market and for portfolio use
- Processing conventional (conforming and jumbo), FHA, VA and USDA loans
- Evaluating residential mortgage and home equity lending applications
- Resolution of title and other underwriting issues
- Analyzing technical issues and highly-complex data to develop sound conclusions
- PC software applications including Word and Excel
- Working with Automated Underwriting Systems
- Working with Encompass Loan Origination System
Knowledge and Skills:
- Mortgage and home equity loan/line products, services, pricing, tax and regulatory requirements including FHA and VA regulations and requirements
- Math concepts to support cash flow analysis
- FCRA, ECOA and other federal/state regulations regarding the extension of credit
- Assist with the expansion of the current business plan allowing for the origination and sale of first mortgage loans in the secondary market to multiple investors and the GSEs
- Assist management in building a growing residential lending business
- Display sound negotiation skills and good business judgment when working with applicant(s) and outside lien holders to clear underwriting and title issues
- Underwrite salable residential mortgage and home equity loans/lines
- Adhere to and provide input for real estate loan processing procedures
- Provide direction to and/or assist in the development/training of support/processing staff if/when warranted
- Work effectively with applicants, loan officers, appraisal/title vendors and other interested parties to resolve underwriting issues
- Effectively communicate with Senior Management, internal and external customers, and external clients/vendors, etc.
- Work overtime and/or flexible hours when necessary
- Travel when needed
- Obtain and maintain required certification
The Auto Club Group offers a competitive compensation and benefits package including a base salary with performance based incentives; medical/dental/vision insurance, 401(k), generous time off, a complimentary AAA Membership and much more!
Important Note: The above statements describe the principal and essential functions, but not all functions that may be inherent in the job. This job requires the ability to perform duties contained in the job description for this position, including, but not limited to, the above requirements. Reasonable accommodations will be made for otherwise qualified applicants, as needed, to enable them to fulfill these requirements.
The Auto Club Group, and all of its affiliated companies, is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
Back to top