Associate General Counsel I
The Auto Club Group (ACG) provides membership, travel, insurance and financial services offerings to approximately 9 million members and customers across 11 states and 2 U.S. territories through the AAA, Meemic and Fremont brands. ACG belongs to the national AAA federation and is the second largest AAA club in North America.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities (details of the basic job functions):
Provide technical oversight and legal advice regarding the complex and important matters pertaining to corporate issues. Act as the "legal authority" in specific disciplines due to experience, vision, commitment and/or educational background within their specialty. Advocate a strong team and client relationship within the company and with the various organizations, agencies and professional legal authorities. Provide guidance, direction and motivation to peers and other legal staff. Act as a project manager for projects having corporate impact.
Research and analyze technical and specialized legal questions and issues as they relate to specific disciplines such as product and pricing matters, agency distribution and marketing. Develop and recommend legal strategies and prepare any necessary material to keep senior management informed regarding achievement of objectives and accomplishments of stated goals. Advise senior management on the legal ramifications of corporate decisions and organization practices. Assist management with short and long term business plans and identifies opportunities to improve department performance and effectiveness
Supervisory Responsibilities (briefly describe, if applicable, or indicate None):
- Five plus years providing legal advice and counsel to insurance client regarding product and pricing, distribution, marketing
- Experience with state property and casualty statutory and regulatory framework
Works in a temperature-controlled office environment
Required Qualifications (these are the minimum requirements to qualify):
Education (include minimum education and any licensing/certifications):
- Juris Doctor degree
- Member of the State Bar of Michigan
- excellent presentation, persuasion and interpersonal skills including opinion preparation and presentation to senior management
- strategic legal analysis related to multiple core business areas or functions
- review contracts related to real estate and intellectual property
- rendering legal advice and strategic advice in multiple specialties to Company clients for legal issues regularly involving two or more state jurisdictions
- rendering technical legal advice to business clients, with a complete understanding of the Company's business operations, finances, and products, as well as the ability to translate strategic business objectives into a bottom-line impact from a business and legal perspective
- broad and varied legal assignments that require creative legal thinking
- conducting legal research and preparing formal legal documents
- project planning and management
- working in a General Counsel department within the insurance industry or large corporation
- drafting strategic documents for senior management
Experience working with a professional staff to include:
organization and planning
- analyzing and problem solving
- judgment and decision making
- team building and cooperation
Knowledge and Skills:
Specific expertise in one or more of the following:
- insurance law, including corporate, financial, regulatory, compliance, government relations and litigation matters
- employment law, including federal and state case law, statutes, and regulations/ERISA, tax, pension and benefit law, including FLSA, ADA, etc.
- litigation management, including effective management of litigation expenses and litigation case closure
- compliance programs affecting corporations generally and financial service companies in particular
- banking law, including laws and regulations affecting banking institutions and their holding companies, corporate, financial, regulatory, compliance, government relations and litigation matters
- corporate law, including corporate organization, operations, mergers/acquisitions, finance, anti-trust, copyright, trademark, etc.
- consistently demonstrate professional maturity, leadership, productivity and judgment similar to a partner level in an outside law firm
- demonstrate teamwork, attitude, and interpersonal skills including being accessible and available to clients and colleagues with the ability to inspire and motivate others to achieve corporate and department goals
- communicate clearly, concisely and persuasively about technical legal issues
- establish and maintain effective working relationships within the company and with various organizations, agencies and legal authorities
The Auto Club Group offers a competitive compensation and benefits package including a base salary with performance based incentives; medical/dental/vision insurance, pension, 401(k), generous time off, a complimentary AAA Membership and much more!
Important Note: The above statements describe the principal and essential functions, but not all functions that may be inherent in the job. This job requires the ability to perform duties contained in the job description for this position, including, but not limited to, the above requirements. Reasonable accommodations will be made for otherwise qualified applicants, as needed, to enable them to fulfill these requirements.
The Auto Club Group, and all of its affiliated companies, is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
Meet Some of The Auto Club Group's Employees
Field Manager V
Cynthia oversees the day-to-day operations of an Ann Arbor Auto Club Group office, streamlining processes, interacting with members, and managing the sales of products and services.
Back to top