Senior Backend Engineer
- United States
TextNow is based around a simple idea: Communication belongs to everyone. We work hard to help people stay connected by offering a solution that makes phone service free. At TextNow, we work together to solve complex and interesting problems that have a positive impact on our customers lives.
Join us in our mission to help people stay connected with technology that is free (or as close to free as possible.)
TextNow is looking for a smart, motivated Senior Backend Engineer who is eager to learn, and is passionate about contributing.
TextNow's backend team uses cutting edge technologies like cloud computing, Golang, micro-services via gRPC, high performing databases, streaming and queueing. We manage hundreds of millions of user interactions and terabytes of raw data in real-time. We are extending the capabilities of our in-house platform to streamline calling experience into a holistic and refined user experience. As a senior backend engineer, you will gain real world experience in building scalable and high performing systems and in creating an industry leading solution for affordable telecommunications.
What You’ll Do:
- Help build systems that allow for rapid iteration and testing product bundles
- Build strategy for a modern, scalable platform.
- Be part of larger architecture rewrites
- Design and build new features for TextNow
- Performance diagnostics and tuning
- Production problem investigation and resolution
- Maintain and refactor production codebase
- Perform as tech lead in full-cycle product focused project groups
- You will participate in on-call rotation, being responsible for Text Now uptime and supporting the application
Who You Are:
- Creator of cool shit with a passion for leveraging Golang, or another strongly typed language
- Brilliant, but not a jerk with great experience working with AWS
- Someone who takes action and ownership with the ability to apply design principles and methodologies for building scalable and high-performance backend components
- Respectfully candid with the ability to motivate people to take action and always be working on behalf of our customer
- A bold risk-taker and self-starter who loves working with microservices, and heavy use of REST API’s
- Resourceful and scrappy with the ability to be strategic, roll up your sleeves, execute and work cross-functionally to support the product roadmap
- Proficient in Golang or another strongly typed language
- Proficient in cloud computing, preferably experiences in AWS
- PHP, Ruby (Old stack) is a plus as we are actively moving away from them
- Ability to apply design principles and methodologies for building scalable and high-performance backend components
- Experience with relational and nonrelational databases
- Experience with microservices, REST and api
- Experience with telecommunication (calling/messaging) is a major asset
· Strong work life blend
· Flexible work arrangements (wfh, remote)
· Employee Stock Options
· Unlimited vacation
· Competitive pay and benefits
· Parental leave top up
· Benefits for both physical and mental well being
DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION:
At TextNow, our mission is built around inclusion and offering a service for EVERYONE, in an industry that traditionally only caters to the few who have the means to afford it. We believe that diversity of thought and inclusion of others promotes a greater feeling of belonging and higher levels of engagement. We know that if we work together, we can do amazing things, and that our differences are what make our product and company great.
Back to top