Material Sales Associate
TerraCycle is the world leader in the collection and recycling of post-consumer waste that was previously "non-recyclable." In over 21 countries, we collect billions of pieces of waste, mostly made up of plastic packaging that is otherwise destined for landfill or incineration. By collecting coherent waste streams (millions of chip bags, millions of drink pouches, millions of toothbrushes, etc.), separated by waste stream, we are able to use third party facilities to recycle these waste streams into formats that can be used by third party manufacturers. In some cases, the manufacturers provide the specifications they need in order for our recycled plastics to be used in their products, and then we process the material to-order.
Our collection business is largely funded by the major consumer product brands of the world (Kraft Foods, Colgate-Palmolive, L'Oreal, PepsiCo, etc.), which pay us to operate post-consumer collection programs. These collection programs render the brand's previously non-recyclable packaging or products nationally recyclable. TerraCycle also works with the manufacturing facilities and packaging suppliers for these large brands to recycle their post-industrial waste. This results in the collection of millions of pounds of clean material that TerraCycle can process and sell into one of many product applications.
This job is based out of TerraCycle's global headquarters in Trenton, NJ. The Material Sales Associates works on the Material Sales team and reports to the Director of Material Solutions with oversight from the Global Vice President of Material Sales & Procurement. The team works closely with TerraCycle's R&D team to develop recycling solutions for the wide range of waste we collect – including but not limited to chip bags, juice pouches, nitrile gloves, and cigarette filters. This is an important role that carries several key functions, primarily the sale of recycled materials, and development of new end-use applications for existing inventory. Due to TerraCycle's distinctive business model and the fact that we work with various No. 7-type plastics, this job will require teaching processing partners and end customers about our material as you go.
The successful candidate will have 2 to 5 years of sales experience, with outstanding communication and organizational skills. The position requires at least modest knowledge of plastics and the equipment needed to process them, though training will be provided to develop that skillset further. It is important that the candidate be able to work in a fast-paced, high-volume work environment.
- Identify opportunities to broker plastic scrap from new or existing sources to new or existing customers.
- Closely monitor and manage TerraCycle's existing waste inventory, with an eye toward moving material downstream as frequently and as profitably as possible.
- Periodically meet with internal account managers from other departments (i.e. those managing the inbound collection of materials) to establish priorities for the processing and sale of existing waste inventory.
- Develop and manage an ongoing list of prospects, along with status updates on our ability to move material downstream into those particular applications.
- Provide weekly status updates, including all relevant transaction paperwork, to the Director of Material Solutions.
- Build and convert a sales pipeline that produces a 3:1 or greater ratio for profit dollars to salary dollars.
- Any additional responsibilities that spin out over time.
- Bachelor's degree is preferred. Masters is a plus.
- Minimum 2 years of sales experience.
- Excellent knowledge of the Microsoft Office suite; Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Word in particular.
- Ability to drive and travel on occasion (2 to 3 days per month maximum).
Benefits & Compensation:
- Salary commensurate with experience.
- Generous paid time off.
- 401(k) with company match.
- Company subsidizes health and life insurance benefits.
Interested applicants should send a cover letter and resume to: [email protected]
Meet Some of TerraCycle's Employees
Sales Associate, Brand Partnerships
Candice is responsible for securing brand partnerships with consumer packaged goods companies to create national collection and recycling platforms for their non-recyclable packaging.
Back to top