TerraCycle is an innovative, highly publicized, fast-growth eco company that collects, recycles and upcycles previously non-recyclable waste.
If you want to work for a company with a mission you can truly believe in, you belong at TerraCycle! We're in the business of eliminating the idea of waste. Our Design team is seeking an energetic, resourceful, and tech-savvy Industrial Designer or Design Engineer. Designers at TerraCycle develop concepts, designs, and prototypes for some of the world's largest brands from hard-to- recycle materials. We focus on creating eco-minded products and experiences that help people rethink the idea of waste.
- A degree in Industrial Design, Mechanical Engineering with a Design focus, or equivalent experience.
- 2 years of professional experience.
- Fluent with 2D and 3D software design tools.
- Experience working with Arduino and Raspberry Pi.
- Strong sketching skills and ability to articulate technical ideas.
- Expert at prototyping with many types of materials ie. wood, plastics, metals, and fabrics.
- Very knowledgeable of sustainable materials, recycled plastics, and closed loop product design.
- Having experience is important, but attitude is right up there, too. We want to work with like-minded sunny, personable, 'yes' people who are game for tackling far-fetched ideas and turning them into reality.
- Your definition of design is broad. You would enjoy designing everything from motion-activated recycling bins to recycled plastic products and furniture and intuitively know the right tools to use for each item.
- You are collaborative but self-directed. You enjoy brainstorming with your fellow designers, but are comfortable being independent and requiring minimal guidance.
- You are attentive to detail and highly organized. You think about how to produce a product while designing it, and understand how to turn your vision into concrete outcomes.
- Bonus points for being eco-minded. You are a conscious of your environmental impact and would like to be a part of our mission to eliminate the idea of waste.
WHAT TO EXPECT:
Our Design environment is very fast paced and every day is different. You'll be working in a quirky and energetic culture with a talented team of coworkers. There will be times when you are called into meetings with our CEO and thrown into a crazy-but- fun new project with an even crazier deadline. We have a colorful and inspiring open office space made with recycled materials. Dress code is relaxed and informal, and as a designer you'll probably be getting messy pretty often, so a spare set of clothes is a good idea.
- Generous paid time off
- Company subsidized medical plan
- Company matched 401-k contributions
- Salaried position
APPLY. If the description above resonates with you, please email your resume, cover letter, and portfolio (PDF or website) to: [email protected] with the subject line: Industrial Designer position. We look forward to hearing from you!
NOTE: International candidates must hold a valid US working permit.
Meet Some of TerraCycle's Employees
Sales Associate, Brand Partnerships
Candice is responsible for securing brand partnerships with consumer packaged goods companies to create national collection and recycling platforms for their non-recyclable packaging.
Back to top