Associate General Counsel
- Irving, TX
The Associate General Counsel (AGC) reports to the General Counsel of Tenaska, Inc. This position will be stationed in the DFW area, and would primarily support the Tenaska Power Services Co. (TPS) business unit. This AGC would be responsible for working with the TPS Lead Associate General Counsel in identifying and fulfilling the legal needs of the TPS business unit, which is engaged in the marketing of electrical power, and the provision of various energy services. The candidate will also be responsible for assisting with legal needs of other Tenaska business units including Tenaska Energy Solutions.
Essential Job Functions:
- Provide legal advice on proposed deal structures; including identifying, evaluating and resolving legal and regulatory concerns associated with proposed deals.
- Review draft contracts and transaction documents prepared by counterparties, and prepare TPS versions of such contract documents, to memorialize contracts and transactions; and assist the commercial team in negotiating such contracts and documents with counterparties. This entails preparing and negotiating ISDAs, EEIs, NAEMAs, NAESBs, and other form master trading agreements, as well as preparing and negotiating specific complex transaction confirmations under these master trading instruments.
- Assist the commercial team in preparing and negotiating structured long-term agreements for specialized energy services, such as QSE Agreements, Energy Management Agreements, Scheduling Coordinator Agreements, and retail sales and consulting agreements. This includes negotiating Consent Agreements, Estoppels, Blocked Account or Account Control Agreements, lien agreements, security agreements, intercreditor agreements, and other arrangements with project lenders and financing parties.
- Participate in or follow trade association efforts to comment on rulemakings of FERC, CFTC, PUCT, CPUC, PUCN and other states of significance to TPS's business activities.
- Evaluate new FERC, ISO, CFTC and various state commissions' policies/regulations/decisions, and provide analysis and advice to TPS management concerning needed changes in business practices, and potential impacts on existing and future contracts and transactions.
- Develop and administer regulatory compliance training to appropriate TPS staff
- Oversee Canadian and Mexican regulatory proceedings and locate, retain, and oversee the work of Canadian and Mexican regulatory experts (law firms or other) as appropriate
- Assist with resolution of tax issues and contract disputes
- Assist with resolution of compliance issues with ISOs and their IMMs, as well as with FERC, CFTC and other state and federal regulatory bodies.
- Provide advice on general commercial issues
- Provide advice on credit issues; bankruptcy law implications; HR issues; and coordinate with other Tenaska business units on joint projects.
- Results - Consistently completes assigned tasks and projects by meeting or preceding deadlines, and exceeding expectations of supervisor. Analyzes problems and makes well-reasoned, sound decisions. Plans, organizes and prioritizes workload to make best use of resources. Displays drive and initiative. Leads change and can translate business strategy into specific goals.
- Customer Focus - Viewed as business partner by customer. Able to independently anticipate and act upon internal and external customer needs. Deals effectively with changes in priorities, unexpected events or unanticipated demands. Delivers service that consistently exceeds quality standards.
- Communication Skills - Candid, clear and concise in communication. Effectively matches style, tone and method to audience. Listens and often asks appropriate questions when necessary. Communicates information to others in a positive and professional manner. Exemplifies confidence when communicating with all levels of management.
- Teamwork - Accepts responsibility as a team member and works to create high morale. Actively attentive to the concerns of others and the development of their potential. Interacts successfully with people of all levels. Effectively delegates work and responsibility to achieve positive results.
- Job Knowledge - Outstanding knowledge in job and/or department. Constantly strives to gain additional expertise and knowledge. Seeks out assignments or opportunities to broaden or strengthen skills. Uses knowledge in creative and effective manner. Inspires others to stay current in technical expertise.
- Technical Skills - Holds himself/herself and others to high standards. He/she strives to maintain technical expertise, is proactive and inspires others.
- Juris Doctorate required;
- Must be licensed to practice law in Texas.
- Familiarity with the electric power industry and key trading agreements used in the industry. Strong regulatory experience preferred. Familiarity with the natural gas industry and trading instruments used in that industry would be a plus.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong listening skills
- Ability to work as a member of a team along with having his/her own responsibilities
- History of working in a fast-paced environment with constant change and strict deadlines
- Proactive approach toward identifying and solving problems
- High personal standards for performance and integrity
- Detail-oriented, analytical mindset and questioning attitude.
Ability to use standard office equipment such as PC, telephone, calculator, printer, copy and fax machines. Must be able to carry a laptop to and from the office. Position may require extended work hours on short notice. All work will be performed in an indoor office environment and may require extended periods of sitting, standing, and bending, as well as typing/data entry.
Must be able to read
reports and use computer.
Must be able to hear
well enough to communicate
Must be able to stand for long periods of time and walk to various departments throughout the organization.
Must be able to stoop down to work with equipment or materials.
Must be able to lift up to 10 pounds and pull or push equipment or materials.
Must be able to write, type,
and use phone system.
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions:
The job will require sitting in an indoor office environment, the need see well enough to read various written materials including, but not limited to paper documents and computer monitors. The job may also require standing, bending, walking, lifting up to 10 lbs., carrying, pushing, pulling, climbing, kneeling, crouching, driving, and airline travel. The incumbent will have the ability to use standard office equipment such as PC, printer, telephone, calculator, and copy and fax machines. Travel required to meetings in other office buildings including local and domestic.
Tenaska is an equal opportunity employer.
Back to top