TEDx Content Specialist
TEDx Content Specialist
TED is seeking a Content Specialist to join an expanding TEDx team and to help us spread ideas from our massive and rapidly growing library of TEDx Talks. The focus of this role is to watch and review the talks filmed at TEDx events worldwide – with an eye toward identifying excellent talks, important ideas, and emerging trends. This specialist will work directly with the Digital Media Manager to discover and package the best TEDx talks to highlight across TED media platforms, including TED.com, and our ideas blog (ideas.ted.com).
Over the last five years, the TEDx program has grown rapidly, enabling more than 13,000 independently organized events in more than 170 countries. These events range from highly produced gatherings in world capitals to small events in rural communities. Talks at these events are filmed and posted online. As a result, there are now more than 90,000 TEDx talks on YouTube, and they were viewed 500MM times last year; less than half of these were delivered in English. At this stage, we are solidifying a highly organized, globally minded video content curation team to keep up with the growth and to maximize the impact of these ideas from around the world.
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Proactively searching the TEDx Talks archives for talks with editorial potential
- Writing short, insightful reviews of talks that allow us to make strong editorial decisions
- Pitching talks and ideas in a wide range of topics to editors and curators across many departments
- Identifying trends and categories that allow us to strategically package talks or ideas for TED editorial channels and social media
- Exploring alternative methods of content discovery, ie. blog outreach
- Hiring and managing interns to surface the best content
- Fact-checking and otherwise researching the validity of evidence presented in TEDx Talks
- Brainstorming and helping to implement the overall digital media strategy for talk discovery and content curation
- Working with the TEDx Communications team to build a robust content calendar for social media.
- Recruiting and helping to manage a team of media interns who screen TEDx talks
- Pulling all the levers of the YouTube platform to maximize views, eg. creating specialized, relevant playlists; optimizing content for discovery; running reports and monitoring analytics
The ideal candidate has a keen editorial eye, sharp writing and editing skills, sound judgment of what makes good content and acute knowledge of video sharing platforms (YouTube, Facebook, etc). To be successful, the candidate must be intellectually curious and globally minded, as well as highly organized, very detail-oriented, self-motivated, and a strong multi-tasker. If you’re fluent in more than one language or have experience living internationally, that’s a real plus. A passion for TED and TEDx and a broad interest in the world – including science/technology, design/architecture, global development, entertainment/arts – will make you a great candidate. You’ll be watching a lot of talks! The knowledge and skills we are looking for include:
- 4-5 years of experience in media, video, writing, editorial
- Sound editorial judgment and a sharp curatorial eye for evaluating content that will thrive in a digital environment and best represent the TED brand
- Strong research, writing, and communication skills
- Confidence in pitching ideas and digital content to a team of editors and curators
- Willingness – and in fact, excitement! – to spend many hours a day watching talks from our library
- Self-starter who sets high and ambitious goals, and also works well as part of a team
- Great organization skills and attention to detail
- Social media management experience (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube)
- Previous experience managing a small team of interns or writers is preferred
- Strong experience working in the Google Drive Applications
- Fluency in at least one other language is a plus
- Design sensibility, Photoshop skills, and basic video editing skills, are all a plus
This is a full-time role. Candidates should find joy in communicating with people from all areas of the world, be comfortable working in a startup-like environment, love watching video, and execute their job with a sense of humor and an eye for detail.
Application: Please submit your resume and a cover letter that addresses your motivation to join the TEDx team and your preparedness for the role.
Location: This position will be based in TED's downtown New York office.
Compensation: We offer a competitive benefits package, including generous health/dental/vision benefits and a company-matched 401K. Every employee also gets an annual continuing education allowance to use for professional development as well as 4 weeks of paid vacation.
Also: We only hire extremely nice people.
Meet Some of TED's Employees
Program Manager, TED Fellows
Logan works with fellows in the TED Fellows program to bring them into the TED community and help amplify their projects and activities. Her goal: to catapult the next generation of global innovative thinkers—and their careers—into success.
Back to top