TED Conferences is hiring an Associate Accountant to support its growing operations. The successful candidate will report to the Accountant and will have interactions with all aspects of the accounting cycle with primary responsibility for accounts payable and recording of other expenses. Other responsibilities include recording of various revenue transactions and maintaining the accounting files.
The Associate Accountant will accurately record detail transactions for TED Conferences in the accounting system; help coordinate the proper flow of financial information throughout TED, especially accounts payable; and assist the Accountant in implementing sound accounting control systems and workflows.
- Uses office-automated systems to input data, generate reports, conduct specialized research projects and respond to inquiries. May reconcile more complicated accounts.
- Collects data, allocates costs and prepares reports on various operating expenses, ensuring that established procedures are followed.
- May do analysis and prepare special reports. May interpret reports and records for managers.
- Responds to and resolves issues and requests from management teams, vendors and clients.
- Researches open accounting issues and recognizes potential issues and/or conflicts
- Follows standard policies and procedures to ensure internal and external reporting requirements are consistently met.
- Populates financial schedules, reports and records for supervisor review
- Assist in month-end procedures
Accounts payable: Process invoices into accounting system, prepare checks, maintain vendor files and interface with TED’s vendors. Record all cost and expense transactions for conferences, website and other TED businesses in TED’s accounting system.
- Check Processing, including running computer generated checks on a weekly basis
- Opening A/P mail and stamping it daily, including email
- Acquiring proper authorization prior to check processing
- Separating and sending processed checks
- Work with vendors to ensure all outstanding invoices are paid
- Organizing A/P (and other accounting files) on a regular basis ensuring ease of use for Accounting team
- Maintain the filing process in line with the current document retention policy
Other transactions: record monthly credit card transactions and all other cash disbursement transactions as necessary.
- Conference registrations: record customer receipts and interface with our conference registration team on registrations receipts. Assist with reconciling registrations on a monthly basis.
Skill and knowledge requirements:
- BA/BS required. Accounting degree preferred.
- 3+ years of accounting experience
- A solid grasp of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and Financial Accounting Standards Board (FASB) regulations.
- Effective interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- Works effectively in a team environment through collaboration and partnership. Customer service oriented with an aspiration to succeed with the client in mind
- Ability to analyze and problem solve effectively by offering solutions to resolve issues
- Ability to write routine correspondence.
- Experience with QuickBooks accounting system highly desired.
- Strong data entry experience
- Accuracy and attention to detail
- Thorough knowledge of Excel, Word, Adobe Acrobat.
- Industry experience in online media, event production or nonprofit would be helpful.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills as the person will interface with all TED staff, vendors and customers.
- Thrives in fast-paced, dynamic environment.
Also: We only hire extremely nice people.
No third party recruiters.
About TED Conferences:
TED is a small nonprofit devoted to Ideas Worth Spreading. It started out (in 1984) as a conference bringing together people from three worlds: Technology, Entertainment, Design. Since then its scope has become ever broader. Along with the annual TED Conference in Long Beach, California, and the TEDGlobal conference in Edinburgh UK, TED includes the award-winning TEDTalks video site, the Open Translation Program, the TEDx community program, and the annual TED Prize. For additional information go to http://www.ted.com
Back to top