Principal Software Engineer - Stores Technology
Our past is full of iconic moments - but our future is going to spark many more. We're looking for the people who'll help make our next decade just as revolutionary as our first five. If you're one of the super-talented who thrive on change, aren't afraid to take risks and love to make a difference, you're the right fit. Come grow with us.
The Principal Software Engineer is responsible for technical and architectural implementation within the Stores Technology domain. You work closely with the Technical Manager, Product Manager and Scrum Master to balance product architecture and delivery timeline.
- Collaborate with technical and business team members to develop, implement and enhance the technical solution architecture for the Next Generation Point-Of-Sale (POS) system
- Drive alignment of architectural goals with business goals. This may include analysis of ROI, driving build vs. buy comparisons, and estimation of total cost of ownership.
- Influence and engage actively in building out a dynamic and productive development organization and continuously improving practices and methodology
- Design and develops applications with an eye towards simplicity, reliability, manageability, scalability, extensibility, performance and re-use.
- Engage in 'hands-on' development, actively pair with the development team in coding and deliver solutions that create incremental value
- Promote architectural principles throughout the technology community
- Mentor and guide others who are still developing their skills
- Experienced with the concept of evolving application architecture, able to envision and communicate how the architecture of an application transitions through the phases to from beginning to end state.
- Full lifecycle development experience on large projects, creating distributed and scalable business systems.
- Exposure to developing applications ready to be hosted on the cloud (Azure, AWS, Heroku)
- Candidates must have a robust understanding of Java and an in-depth understanding of other Java technologies (Spring, Springboot) and WebServices (REST, SOAP, XML-RPC, etc)
- Experience with relational databases (Oracle SQL Server, MySQL), data access patterns (ORM, DAO, Repository), and familiarity with ORM technologies and NoSQL databases like MongoDB, HBASE etc.
- Familiarity with EAI patterns, queuing systems (e.g. MQ Series, JMS, etc.) and business process orchestration, workflow automation systems, etc.
- Experience in developing and driving SOA strategies within large enterprises
- Experience with engineering best practices (TDD, BDD, Pairing), and through understanding and exposure to Continuous Integration / Continuous Deployment (CI/CD) pipelines
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related, or equivalent work experience
- Ability to troubleshoot network problems both WiFi (802.1x) and wired networks
- Good Understanding of TCP protocols and network security
- Working knowledge of integrating with peripherals like printer, scanners
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Gap, Banana Republic and Old Navy, 30% off at Outlet and 25% off at Athleta.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.
- Employees can take up to five "on the clock" hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee's base pay.
- Employee stock purchase plan.
- Employees receive medical, dental, vision and life insurance.
- Employees can apply for tuition reimbursement.
- Family care programs.
- Commuter benefits.
- Pet Discount Program.
*For eligible employees
Gap Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. In 2016, Gap Inc. was named one of the Best Places to Work by the Human Rights Campaign for the thirteenth consecutive year and was the sole winner of the Catalyst award for equality in the workplace in 2016.
Meet Some of Technology at Gap Inc.'s Employees
IT Business Analyst
Jared operates as a function lead between Gap’s business partners and technical leads. He helps them understand the business requirements to deliver high-quality technology to Gap’s customers.
Back to top