Director of Distribution Engineering, Gap
GENERAL SUMMARY: Serves as the functional expert leading the global engineering distribution team in process engineering, automation, material handling equipment, facility layout and design. Also defines and implements the strategy for deployment, standardization and optimization of warehouse processes in Gap Inc.’s global distribution network. Provides leadership to a staff of seven engineering managers supporting the global distribution network.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Responsibilities and Evaluation Criteria
- Create a vision and strategy for global implementation of DC processes and control systems.
- Build and execute Gap Inc.’s strategy of warehouse material handling engineering. This includes a definition and execution of logistics activities including facility development, network strategy as well as continuous operational improvement.
- Drive harmonization and standardization of global Cross Channel Logistics Optimization template processes for distribution network.
- Develop strategic vendor partnerships in key areas such as MHE and engineering consulting support. Lead the selection process of appropriate equipment and consulting partners.
- Act as the conduit/catalyst for the deployment of technologies throughout the global distribution network.
- Support regional project managers and external consultants on all DC projects including but not limited to: retrofit projects, new facility design and implementation, warehouse management systems implementation, vendor selections.
- Project Management in a leadership role
- Oversees major material handling design modifications, provides design analysis and coordinates facilitates layout changes.
- Coordinates project management and analytical activities with regards to material handling system design, construction, and installation.
- Lead and develop an international team of engineering managers and staff located in multiple locations, including external 3PL partners.
- Work with 3PL providers’ technical resources to design and implement throughput and capacity solutions that improve service and speed to market while maintaining capacity and flexibility in the Asian distribution network.
- Create a motivational and supportive environment in which employees are challenged, coached, trained and provided with career opportunities.
- Benchmark Gap Inc.’s process template and infrastructure rollout methodology against other industries and build a continuous improvement strategy with relevant business stakeholders.
- Identify innovation opportunities, validate relevance, conduct pilots and create buy in for implementations.
- Champion new productivity solutions for the global distribution network.
- Provide operational diagnostics to determine and mitigate facility constraints.
- Oversees material handling projects including business case development, project management, resource planning, vendor contracts, installation, testing, approval and payback.
- Business case development for new capital investments
- Develops facility start-up / closure plans to ensure cross functional execution.
- Provides technical support, material handling solutions, and training to engineers, maintenance, and associates to maximize network productivity.
- Establish common procedures for processing project requests across the network. Partner with stakeholders to prioritize projects and communicate status updates.
- Attend tradeshows, perform competitive benchmarking, and research to assess new technologies.
ORGANIZATIONAL RELATIONSHIPS: Reports directly to Sr. Director of Global Engineering. Communicates and interacts regularly with Directors of: Engineering, Maintenance, Operations, Finance, PMO, and IT. Establishes working partnerships with operational leaders at Gap Inc. distribution campuses. Frequent interaction with senior supply chain leaders at the vice presidential level and above.
Knowledge, skills & abilities:
- Experienced in leading international, cross-functional teams, and team motivation
- Strong leadership skills with the proven ability to set a vision and strategy, manage change, develop, mentor and coach personnel
- Creating a strategic approach for continuous improvements based on defined process standards
- Ability to work and deliver in changing environments, under limited guidance while adhering to specified deadlines and budgets
- Ability to plan, budget and manage project execution
- Distribution, Logistics and overall supply chain understanding of processes and systems
- Ability to take business forecasts and translate into a facility design using CAD tools such as AutoCAD
- Adept at MHE specification including power equipment, conveyor systems, rack systems, sortation systems and various picking methodologies
- Solid background in work measurement programs such as Labor Management and Engineering Labor Standards desired
- Ability to present to middle and senior management to drive decision making
- Ability to travel extensively, domestic or international as required - 35%
- Material handling equipment
- Capital budgeting
- PC proficiency (Outlook, CAD, Excel, Access, Powerpoint, Business Objects, and WCS)
- Project management
- Influencing others
- Time management
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Change management
- Promoting teamwork
- Stakeholder management
- Strategic Agility
- Customer Focus
- Decision Quality
2) Minimum educational level:
- Master degree and/or related work history in business administration with focus on supply chain management with focus on distribution and/or industrial engineering preferred
3) Minimum experience:
- 7 to 10 years minimum direct supervision, material handling, capital projects, and facilities maintenance
Meet Some of Technology at Gap Inc.'s Employees
Theresa engineers innovative tech solutions with a small agile development team. Specifically, they work to bring mobile applications to the hands of Gap’s store associates.
Back to top