Senior Managing Director, Insights (NYC)
As the Senior Managing Director of Insights you will be responsible for turning data into actionable insights that will help to improve the performance of Teach For America's web platforms, social networks, and emails. This new role has been created to bring a level of strategic thinking and intelligence to Teach For America's most critical marketing and communication efforts. In this role you will be instrumental in helping Teach For America achieve its powerful mission to transform society through educational reform. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to be at the heart of a strategic shift in how a large, complex not-for-profit communicates in digital channels, and you will be empowered to make decisions and build capabilities that draw on your professional expertise. You will be a strong manager who can effectively delegate and willable to get into the weeds when necessary, especially as this new function is established.
The Senior Managing Director of Insights will report to the Vice President of Digital Content and Channels and serve as one of three senior deputies in the leadership team of Teach For America's digital marketing organization.
Our Marketing and Communications team is charged with bringing to life Teach For America's mission and the collective impact of our network through storytelling. We drive the national brand and narrative for Teach For America, defining and stewarding the organization's brand identity, positioning, and key messages. We leverage strategic communications to rally the next generation of leaders to join Teach For America; to strengthen our community of corps members, alumni, staff and supporters; and to build broader understanding of our mission and impact in the context of educational inequity in America.
- Work closely with your Managing Director of Traffic, ensure everything that Teach For America does is being measured and that every measurement is being used to drive to insights
- Establish a process for turning data into insights, and for ensuring that these insights are informed by the expertise of colleagues in technology, content, user experience, and design
- Improve the mapping of measurements to user data within Teach For America's CRM (Salesforce) with the goal of increasing the ability to provide meaningful analysis
- Drive the improvement of Teach For America's measurement platforms and related tools
- Shepherd the creation of a single dashboard for viewing all data that is accessible to national and regional stakeholders
- Set priorities for measurement that ladder up to organizational goals
- Oversee the digital paid media budget and all media buying strategies
- Make decisions about how to allocate funding to various media and measurement activities
- Establish a process for ensuring all web, social, and email data is properly tracked
- Be a decision maker in the selection of partner agencies, especially media partners
- Ensure all teams within digital marketing know how to use data to optimize their efforts
- Provide intelligence and analysis on SEO standards to the content strategy team and participate in a continuous cycle of improvement to results
- Ensure that Teach For America stakeholders at all levels understand insights that are collected and the impact of decisions related to digital marketing efforts across the trio of time, quality, and cost
Strategy, Leadership, and Collaboration
- Advocate for and operate under and agile/Lean UX environment with confidence
- Meet specific annual quantitative goals for recruitment growth and corps members and alumni satisfaction
- Establish a data and insights strategy that fits the needs of Teach For America based on your expertise
- Supervise and manage a team of data analysts, traffic managers, paid media (search and social) experts, and supporting team members
- Inspire subject matter experts within your team to live the values that Teach for America represents, leading through example with an emphasis on delivering quality work every time
- Be an influential voice for best practices in user experience, design, and technology and be passionate about the role evolving technology can play in providing value to users
- 10 years of experience in digital marketing at an agency, not-for-profit, or in a complex corporate context with a large national or multi-national organization; experience at an organization with a regional or distributed model preferred
- 5-8 years of experience in either paid search, paid social, or in an analytics role
- A proven record of establishing paid media programs consisting of integrated tactics of search, social and email
- Expertise in a wide variety of measurement, data collection, and analysis methodologies
- A strong background in quantitative and qualitative research
- Extensive experience with Salesforce, Tableau, Pardot, Radian6, Facebook for Business, AdWords, and Google Analytics
- Expertise with paid media (social and search) and a proven record of establishing paid media programs
- Experience in a web re-platform or large website build
- Experience working with software engineers, data analysts, content strategists, designers, and project managers
- Proven experience in leading teams and are skilled at attracting and retaining staff, creating clarity in ambiguity, and developing, motivating, and unifying the team
- A track record of developing successful measurement and insight strategies for organizations across multiple channels, at scale, over the course of multiple content cycles
- Exceptional presentation skills
- Passionate about educational equity as well as a demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusiveness
- Able to think big, generate ideas and drive solutions to complex problems in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
- An exceptional writer and oral communicator, including in writing in others' voices and in editing others' work
- Skilled in the art of persuasion, with a deep sense of humility and openness to the perspectives of others
- Able to maintains a sense of possibility in the face of obstacles, and balances both short- and long-term results
- Bachelor's degree required; advanced degree preferred.
- National travel for in-person meetings will vary throughout the year, but is estimated to include an average of 1-2 trips per month; some weekend and evening work expected.
To be considered for this role, you must submit an online application. Please scroll down to the bottom of the page to find the link to the online application. For more information, please contact [email protected] or visit www.teachforamerica.org/about-us/careers.
Benefits and Salary
Salary for this position is competitive and depends on prior experience. In addition, a comprehensive benefits package is included. Learn more at
Commitment to Diversity and Equal Opportunity Employment Policy
Teach For America encourages individuals of all ethnic, racial, and socioeconomic backgrounds to apply for this position. We are committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization, as we want to engage all those who can contribute to this effort. Learn more about our diversity on staff:
Teach For America is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all qualified individuals and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, marital status, veteran status, pregnancy, parental status, genetic information or characteristics (or those of a family member) or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
This job description reflects Teach For America's assignment of essential functions and qualifications of the role. Nothing in this herein restricts management's right to assign, reassign or eliminate duties and responsibilities to this role at any time.
About the Organization
There are more than 16 million children growing up in poverty in the U.S., and less than 10 percent of them will graduate from college. These statistics are not a reflection of our children's potential; we know that children growing up in poverty can and do achieve at the highest levels. Rather, these statistics reflect the systemic lack of access and opportunity for children in low-income communities.
Teach For America (TFA) finds, develops, and supports an ever-expanding network of outstanding and diverse leaders committed to expanding opportunity for children in schools, school systems, and in every sector and field that shapes the context in which schools operate. Representing the diversity of America and sharing the experience of having taught successfully in our most challenging public schools, TFA corps members and alumni form a network of change agents inside and outside of education who are grounded in the tremendous potential of our most underserved children and connected to families and communities impacted by educational inequity.
Founded by Wendy Kopp in 1989, Teach For America has since expanded to 36 states and 53 regions, reaching more than 10 million students. Now 53,000 strong and growing each year, the TFA community is leading across all sectors, including as teachers, school and school system leaders, elected officials, policy and advocacy organizers, social entrepreneurs, and business and civic leaders. We support the individual and collective leadership of this network as they work hand-in-hand with students, families, and allies in the effort to realize educational equity and excellence for children across the nation.
Meet Some of Teach For America's Employees
Manager, Teacher Leadership Development
Aimée supports new corps members, helping TFA’s first and second year teachers navigate the classroom and successfully educate students.
Back to top