Senior Managing Director, Delta Institute (Mississippi Delta)
Teach For America Mississippi seeks a Senior Managing Director, Delta Institute to set overall vision and direction for the Delta institute in its current and future evolutions, which will include leading partners through a re-imagining process. The SMD, Delta Institute will report directly to and work closely with the Executive Director of Mississippi and partner with several regions to craft a compelling vision for our institute program and partner with students, families, schools, districts, community organizations and local leaders to ensure we are working with our communities to further collective impact.
The SMD, Delta Institute oversees our work and supports corps members in becoming effective teachers and leaders in Mississippi. This person must have demonstrated success managing and coaching others through multiple layers and levels. They must deeply embody our regional team and organizational values, be committed to engaging on issues of diversity, equity and inclusiveness, and operate in ways that honor and uplift our students and communities. To be successful, this individual must thrive in an entrepreneurial environment and possess an exceptionally high level of personal responsibility for achieving ambitious results.
Teach For America has been partnering with communities in Mississippi since 1991. Today, nearly 350 corps members and more than 150 alumni live in the area. Our long history in this region has allowed us to build strong and lasting partnerships. Corps members here are warmly welcomed by and work closely with the communities that surround their schools. Here in “the most southern place on Earth,” we’re part of a regional renaissance bringing educational equity to all Mississippi students.
Relationships and Management
- Manage, develop and lead team across the continuum, including:
- Direct coaching and managing of team members, as well as managing through layers. This person will oversee those devoted full and part-time to institute
- Recruit, cultivate and hire for staff positions on the program continuum related to institute
- Ensure team members are maximizing their individual potential and receiving professional development both to enhance their skills on staff and as part of the community
- Create a strong culture rooted in our core values
- Build, cultivate, and maintain partnerships with internal and external continuum and professional development partners.
Vision Setting & Strategy
- Create a bold, clear, inspiring, and ambitious vision for our institute work aligned to our regional vision, focused on ensuring that we are effectively partnering with staff, community organizations and schools to fight for educational equity
- Ensure alignment of institute program with broader regional program continuum work, through investing and mobilizing our regional team and internal and external stakeholders
- Develop a comprehensive strategic plan for our institute’s place in the continuum with outcomes and targets to achieve this vision through the reimagining process and over multiples years
- Build partnerships, relationships, and networks with internal and external partners
- Foster cross-functional and collaborative partnerships with all leaders and team members within the Program Continuum to ensure a seamless transition for corps members from matriculation to institute and through the corps experience
- Own and support broader regional and organizational priorities, including selecting and matriculating new corps members, encouraging alumni and corps members to join our staff, and supporting regional initiatives
- Serve as a member of the Regional Leadership Trust to support the region in achieving its goals and objectives
- Attend and participate in all-staff meetings, retreats, small team cohorts, and step backs throughout the year
- 7 to 10 years of relevant work experience strongly preferred
- Demonstrates deep commitment to and belief in Teach For America’s mission, theory of change and core values
- Demonstrates deep commitment to and belief in our students, families, and local communities and possesses knowledge of the education landscape in the Mississippi Delta
- Proven ability to set an inspiring vision and mobilize others in support of that vision
- Proven ability to build and leverage relationships across diverse constituents and stakeholders
- Demonstrated success building a diverse team and fostering long term growth and development
- Demonstrated success managing individuals and teams to achieve ambitious goals; experience managing through and across multiple layers of an organization preferred
- Strong strategic thinking, sound judgment, including the ability to identify and create new opportunities and overcome barriers
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, including the ability to listen and empathize with the perspectives of others
- Instructional experience OR strong instructional instincts required
- Previous summer institute experience preferred
- Teach For America alumni preferred
- Residency in Mississippi region preferred
- Strategic thinking and planning skills, including aligning to existing regional vision, comfort dealing with ambiguity, and the ability to set vision and lead with an emphasis on innovation
- Strengths in management of people and teams, with the ability to manage through multiple layers, with an emphasis on empowering the leadership of others
- Adept at managing up to the Executive Director, external partners, and community champions
- Ability to develop systems to track progress, streamline communication, and increase the efficiency and effectiveness of team execution
- Have an understanding and deep belief in fostering culturally responsive educators
- Passionate about our mission and knowledge about education equity, ideally in rural communities
- Strong written communication skills for telling the story of impact and communicating regularly with stakeholders
- Deep knowledge of effective teaching practices and excellent adult learning experiences
- Ability to analyze and synthesize data from a range of sources to make high-impact, strategic decisions
- Make smart choices about what to prioritize and what matters most over a quarter, a month, and a week
- Ability to engage in difficult conversations
- Reflect and proactively work to grow and improve
- Proven ability to develop and leverage relationships
- Live in the Cleveland, MS area, at or nearby institute, for the duration of institute
- This position requires significant travel at different times throughout the year, travel requirements peak in the spring (staff training/conference season) and summer (working at institute site)
- Ability to navigate facilities that may or may not be ADA-compliant
- Bachelor’s degree required
To be considered for this role, you must submit an online application. Please scroll down to the bottom of the page to find the link to the online application. For more information, please contact [email protected] or visit www.teachforamerica.org/about-us/careers.
Benefits and Salary
Salary for this position is competitive and depends on prior experience. In addition, a comprehensive benefits package is included. Learn more at www.teachforamerica.org/about-us/careers/employee-benefits.
Commitment to Diversity and Equal Opportunity Employment Policy
Teach For America encourages individuals of all ethnic, racial, and socioeconomic backgrounds to apply for this position. We are committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization, as we want to engage all those who can contribute to this effort. Learn more about our diversity on staff: www.teachforamerica.org/about-us/careers/life-at-tfa/workforce-diversity-and-inclusiveness.
Teach For America is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all qualified individuals and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, marital status, veteran status, pregnancy, parental status, genetic information or characteristics (or those of a family member) or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
This job description reflects Teach For America’s assignment of essential functions and qualifications of the role. Nothing in this herein restricts management’s right to assign, reassign or eliminate duties and responsibilities to this role at any time.
Back to top