Managing Director, Development (Las Vegas Valley, NV)
We are seeking a Managing Director of Development (MDD) to help lead our campaign to raise over $15M in private funding by 2018. To reach this goal, you will work closely with the Executive Director on setting and executing high level development strategy and managing a portfolio of donors and prospects at all giving levels. Additionally, you will also be responsible for developing a diverse and sustainable funding base of new money between $5K-$100K. You will also serve on the Las Vegas Valley Leadership Team, manage a team of 1-3 individuals and report directly to the Executive Director.
If you are an exceptional strategic thinker, innovator, and relationship builder with keen people instincts and a proven track record in fundraising then this role is for you! The ideal MD candidate is also a strong visionary and thrives in a fast-paced, goal-oriented environment and is able to effectively identify and marshal resources towards areas of opportunity and challenges. The Managing Director, Development is a team-builder who operates and leads with Teach For America’s core values and commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusiveness (DEI).
Las Vegas conjures up thoughts of sunshine, casinos and the strip for many; but there is another side to this incredible region. Las Vegas Valley is a tight knit community weathering the ups and downs of an uncertain economy, making critical investments to modernize our education system, and committing to working together so that all kids here can get a great education. Clark County School District (CCSD), which serves the Las Vegas Valley, is the fifth largest school district in the nation. Only 70% of the district’s 320,000 students graduate from high school. Additionally, Nevada has the lowest percentage of children enrolled in early childhood programs in the country. This poses a serious threat to our state’s economic growth. We must provide equity and excellence for all kids in the Las Vegas Valley and that’s why we do our work and why we need you to join our team.
A hallmark of our team is a strong culture that fully embraces our regional culture values of One LoVVe, DEI Focused, and Vision Driven. One LoVVe means we approach our work with compassion and support for our amazing family. DEI Focused requires us to engage with issues of race, class, and other aspects of identity as a regular part of our work, and ensure an inclusive environment for all. Finally, we know we must be Vision Driven and focused on our regional goals day-to-day and year-to-year if we want to work collaboratively with our community to reach ONE DAY. We deeply care about the students and families we work with, improving our education system, and being part of an amazing TFA-LVV team grounded in our work.
Create the long range regional development vision and annual strategic and operating plans
- Set ambitious yet feasible revenue, donor retention and acquisition benchmarks to achieve both immediate (current FY) and long-term (next 3-5 years) development goals
- Develop and implement strategies and tactical plans to achieve goals for different donor segments
- Regularly assess team-wide progress to goals while maintaining operational systems, identify what is driving and impeding progress, develop solutions to address gaps, and adjust course as necessary
- Evaluate and assess the effectiveness of donor stewardship strategies, and leverage best practice and other innovative solutions to improve donor retention and satisfaction
- Manage and empower a team of 1-3 staff members, coaching and developing them as leaders in their role and the organization
- Partner with the Executive Director to support Regional Advisory Board’s fundraising efforts
Cultivate, solicit, and steward a portfolio of individual, corporate and foundation donors through meetings, events, and correspondence
- Manage a portfolio of donors to increase donor renewal and upgrade rates by assessing motivations and barriers and leveraging key influencers to build a strong relationship between the donor and Teach For America
- Develop and implement a strategy to identify new mid-level donors (5K-100K) and execute on that strategy
Work in partnership with Regional Communications manager to develop a comprehensive marketing and communications plan that raises public awareness of Teach For America-Las Vegas Valley
- Manage regional communications including social media platforms, website and all external communications
- Develop comprehensive marketing suite that describes the narrative of TFA-LVV in the form of one-pagers, annual report and brochures
Design and execute public funding strategy in partnership with TFA national resources
- Work to build relationship with public policy makers in an effort to position TFA-LVV to secure public funding during legislative sessions
- Track record of fundraising multi-million dollar campaigns for at least 3-5 years
- People management experience required
- Knowledge of the philanthropic landscape in Las Vegas preferred
- Ability to work some weekends and evenings; ability to travel to in-person meetings
- Exceptional strategic and critical thinking skills, specifically ability to think big, generate ideas and implement solutions to complex problems
- Ability to set and evolve team vision and direction
- Ability to manage team execution toward high quality results
- Ability to build strong relationships with others in challenging situations
- Knack for influencing others toward outcomes through sophisticated relationship management
- Strong communicator who is able to tailor message and approach to toward the perspectives of others
- Bachelor’s degree required, MBA preferred
To be considered for this role, you must submit an online application with a cover letter tailored to your interest in Teach For America and this position. Please scroll down to the bottom of the page to find the link to the online application. For more information, please contact [email protected] or visit www.teachforamerica.org/about-us/careers.
Benefits and Salary
Salary for this position is competitive and depends on prior experience. In addition, a comprehensive benefits package is included. Learn more at www.teachforamerica.org/about-us/careers/employee-benefits.
Commitment to Diversity and Equal Opportunity Employment Policy
Teach For America encourages individuals of all ethnic, racial, and socioeconomic backgrounds to apply for this position. We are committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization, as we want to engage all those who can contribute to this effort. Learn more about our diversity on staff: www.teachforamerica.org/about-us/careers/life-at-tfa/workforce-diversity-and-inclusiveness.
Teach For America is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all qualified individuals and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, marital status, veteran status, pregnancy, parental status, genetic information or characteristics (or those of a family member) or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
This job description reflects Teach For America’s assignment of essential functions and qualifications of the role. Nothing in this herein restricts management’s right to assign, reassign or eliminate duties and responsibilities to this role at any time.
Back to top