Intern, Legal Affairs - Summer Semester-Apply by 2/29/17 (NYC, Chicago or Memphis)
The Legal Affairs internship provides a platform for law students committed to working in a mission-driven organization to develop legal skills and acumen while partnering directly with our attorneys to work on various legal projects throughout the summer. The intern will get exposure to a wide range of matters from lobbying compliance to developing organization-wide policies to real estate matters. Through this summer internship, you will have the chance to observe the strategy development of a national non-profit.
The Legal Affairs Team provides legal and strategic advice to the fifty-three Teach For America regions nationwide and the central functional teams including Program, Regional Operations, Finance, Technology, Marketing, Development and Human Assets. Our team of attorneys consists of lawyers that practice in a wide range of substantive areas including employment law, administrative law, nonprofit law, trademark and copyright protection, general compliance, and education laws. The day-to-day work often includes, partnering closely with staff members to manage questions of law and policy; creating training materials for organizational compliance such as copyright and lobbying; and drafting and negotiating contracts with other partner entities and vendors.
Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
- Conducting legal research across a wide variety of substantive areas with a particular focus on employment and benefits law, state lobbying compliance requirements, contracts, and non-profit corporation and tax law with an opportunity to create a writing sample
- Producing high-quality written communication for different constituencies within the organization, including training materials and presentations related to various areas of legal compliance
This is a 10-week internship and this position may be eligible for a stipend or student credit hours.
- At least 2 years of law school required
- 3.2 GPA required
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
- Discretion, ownership and initiative to drive projects forward independently
- Strong research skills
- Strong written and interpersonal communication skills
- Knowledge of MS Outlook, PowerPoint, and Excel are preferred
- Access to Lexis/Nexis or Westlaw is preferred
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Working onsite during business hours in an office located in either New York, Chicago or Memphis
Please submit your (1) resume, (2) cover letter, (3) copy of your law school transcript, (4) a minimum of 5 pages writing sample, and (5) a letter of recommendation by February 29, 2017.
Commitment to Diversity and Equal Opportunity Employment Policy
Teach For America encourages individuals of all ethnic, racial, and socioeconomic backgrounds to apply for this position. We are committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization, as we want to engage all those who can contribute to this effort. Learn more about our diversity on staff: www.teachforamerica.org/about-us/careers/life-at-tfa/workforce-diversity-and-inclusiveness.
Teach For America is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all qualified individuals and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, marital status, veteran status, pregnancy, parental status, genetic information or characteristics (or those of a family member) or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
This job description reflects Teach For America’s assignment of essential functions and qualifications of the role. Nothing in this herein restricts management’s right to assign, reassign or eliminate duties and responsibilities to this role at any time.
Meet Some of Teach For America's Employees
Manager, Teacher Leadership Development
Aimée supports new corps members, helping TFA’s first and second year teachers navigate the classroom and successfully educate students.
Back to top