Director, Paid Search (NYC)
The Director of Paid Search will report to the Senior Managing Director of Insights and will be responsible for developing and optimizing the paid search activities of Teach For America, including campaigns, ongoing website traffic, managing our paid search spend. You will work directly with other members of our marketing and digital teams to provide input and validate the results of our marketing efforts across web, social, and email.
The Director of Paid Search will be responsible for SEM/PPC/Display/Remarketing strategies and execution for our campaigns and for our websites. You will be responsible for creating and executing our strategies across the major search engines, planning and managing paid search buys, reporting on the effectiveness of our paid-search keywords and campaigns, and optimizing our paid search spend. You will also have an opportunity to think about the entire paid online ecosystem, with the potential of including branded content and other online advertising. Although this is not the core function of this role, it is an opportunity for growth.
Our Marketing and Communications team is charged with bringing to life Teach For America's mission and the collective impact of our network through storytelling. We drive the national brand and narrative for Teach For America, defining and stewarding the organization's brand identity, positioning, and key messages. We leverage strategic communications to rally the next generation of leaders to join Teach For America; to strengthen our community of corps members, alumni, staff and supporters; and to build broader understanding of our mission and impact in the context of educational inequity in America.
- Manage our paid search strategy with insight into budget allocation and audience targeting
- Create, implement, track, analyze, and optimize paid search campaigns in all major search engines
- Create and utilize successful bid strategies and keyword management
- Continuously optimize our paid search spend and activities on a daily/weekly basis including testing all facets of our paid search activities to help us achieve our results
- Collaborate with our social and content strategy teams, and other members of the insights team to provide strategic media planning and execution
- Detect and communicate any necessary changes to content, technology, user experience, design, or overall strategy to other members of the digital marketing team to improve the performance of paid search activities
- Develop new ways of looking at data to improve insights, enhance efficiency and effectiveness, and add new metrics where needed
- Test and evaluate new or emerging ad units/technologies
- Stay current with the constant evolution of PPC/SEM/Remarketing/Google Display Network and act as a trusted source for ongoing digital counsel and search education to our organization
- Work closely with publisher partners (Google, Bing etc.) to collaborate on campaigns and participate in beta tests
- Partner with members of the larger digital marketing team to meet strategic objectives
- Translate new insights into actionable recommendations that help Teach For America achieve its objectives more efficiently and effectively
- Pro-actively seek and use existing data sources to address key client questions quickly and efficiently
- Advocate for and operate under an agile/Lean UX environment with confidence
- Meet specific annual quantitative goals for rallying the next generation of corps members through paid search
- Assess the viability of other paid online activities and recommend strategies to use paid media to meet marketing objectives
- 6-8 years of professional work experience working deeply with search engine marketing which should include experience with bid monitoring and adjustment of search media campaigns across multiple sites, defining terms and writing effective copy, highly relevant and targeted to the organization's products and/or services
- Extensive digital media experience with cross-channel campaigns that feature integrated media planning including social, digital advertising, and search
- Extensive experience in writing and presenting reports to senior stakeholders
- Experience with internal site visitor reporting/tracking programs or software
- Extensive experience using GA/GA Premium, GDN; Google AdWords & Bing Ads certifications preferred
- A strong understanding of the technology behind search engine structure, performance, and optimization
- A strong understanding of cross channel planning, demonstrating strong coordination of digital and offline media efforts
- A solid analytics background
- Passionate about educational equity as well as a demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusiveness
- Able to manage, manipulate and generate insights from large data sets
- Exceptional at managing multiple projects with a keen eye to detail and data accuracy
- A strong communicator in translating complex data to others
- Skilled in the art of persuasion, with a deep sense of humility and openness to the perspectives of others
- Able to maintain a sense of possibility in the face of obstacles, and balance both short- and long-term results
- Bachelor's degree required.
- National travel for in-person meetings will vary throughout the year, but is estimated to include an average of 1-2 trips per month; some weekend and evening work expected.
To be considered for this role, you must submit an online application. Please scroll down to the bottom of the page to find the link to the online application. For more information, please contact [email protected] or visit www.teachforamerica.org/about-us/careers.
Benefits and Salary
Salary for this position is competitive and depends on prior experience. In addition, a comprehensive benefits package is included. Learn more at
Commitment to Diversity and Equal Opportunity Employment Policy
Teach For America encourages individuals of all ethnic, racial, and socioeconomic backgrounds to apply for this position. We are committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization, as we want to engage all those who can contribute to this effort. Learn more about our diversity on staff:
Teach For America is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all qualified individuals and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, marital status, veteran status, pregnancy, parental status, genetic information or characteristics (or those of a family member) or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
This job description reflects Teach For America's assignment of essential functions and qualifications of the role. Nothing in this herein restricts management's right to assign, reassign or eliminate duties and responsibilities to this role at any time.
About the Organization
There are more than 16 million children growing up in poverty in the U.S., and less than 10 percent of them will graduate from college. These statistics are not a reflection of our children's potential; we know that children growing up in poverty can and do achieve at the highest levels. Rather, these statistics reflect the systemic lack of access and opportunity for children in low-income communities.
Teach For America (TFA) finds, develops, and supports an ever-expanding network of outstanding and diverse leaders committed to expanding opportunity for children in schools, school systems, and in every sector and field that shapes the context in which schools operate. Representing the diversity of America and sharing the experience of having taught successfully in our most challenging public schools, TFA corps members and alumni form a network of change agents inside and outside of education who are grounded in the tremendous potential of our most underserved children and connected to families and communities impacted by educational inequity.
Founded by Wendy Kopp in 1989, Teach For America has since expanded to 36 states and 53 regions, reaching more than 10 million students. Now 53,000 strong and growing each year, the TFA community is leading across all sectors, including as teachers, school and school system leaders, elected officials, policy and advocacy organizers, social entrepreneurs, and business and civic leaders. We support the individual and collective leadership of this network as they work hand-in-hand with students, families, and allies in the effort to realize educational equity and excellence for children across the nation.
Meet Some of Teach For America's Employees
Manager, Teacher Leadership Development
Aimée supports new corps members, helping TFA’s first and second year teachers navigate the classroom and successfully educate students.
Back to top