Director, Data and Strategy - Apply by 1.29 (South Carolina)
Teach For America – South Carolina’s Director, Data & Strategy will play a pivotal role in increasing the performance and impact of all teams in South Carolina through supporting the data and strategy needs of the region and functional teams. This role will impact the strategic thinking, evidence based decision making and proposed strategies for multi-year and in-year planning on the Talent and Regional Operations, Continuum, External Affairs and Leadership Teams in the region by increasing systems, impact clarity, and increased efficiency and capacity of all team members through data and strategy support in alignment with our Regional 2020 vision and goals. A collaborative work ethic is critical in this role as you will be interfacing with the entire regional staff at multiple points throughout the year. The Director, Data & Strategy will report directly to the Senior Managing Director (SMD), Talent & Continuum.
Teach For America – South Carolina started in 2011 with 30 corps members spread along the I-95 corridor. In 5 years, South Carolina has grown from 30 corps members to 100 corps members and has created partnerships with counties along the I-26 corridor and reaching more than 15,000 students throughout the state. The South Carolina team is a team of diverse, passionate and committed folks who work together to create the staff and corps member experience in service of student outcomes in South Carolina. We believe our progress in our classrooms is directly related to the quality of our talent and are excited to expand our efforts with a dedicated staff member in this role.
Primary responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
Data Strategy and execution (30%)
- Maintain and strengthen systems to track region-wide data and maximize accessibility, data accuracy and efficiency (data includes but not limited to: corps members, alumni, school partners, regional & organizational goals, etc.)
- Create systems to maintain historical data, historical data snapshots, and one-off data and research requests
- Develop systems to regularly analyze and report on region-wide data for internal and external purposes, including but not limited to: grant proposal and report support, annual report, board updates, quarterly step-backs, and program tracker reports
- Collect and analyze publicly available data (e.g. externally benchmarked student state test data)
Regional Strategy (25%)
- Partner with Executive Director to own the logistics and operations of regional Leadership Team meetings, scope and sequence and expectations yearly
- Create impact measures for fiscal year and long-term strategies to measure impact in the region
- Build and maintain regional dashboard (including metrics on progress toward regional goals and breakthrough results) as primary source document
- Partner with the Executive Director in driving the process for regional vision setting, strategic planning, and financial budgeting processes
- Serve as thought-partner to the Executive Director in regional strategy and decision-making
Manage communication and projects with key constituents (25%)
- Manage partnership with Clear Impact to drive regional Results-Based Accountability process
- Liaise with the South Carolina Department of Education and other public entities, in conjunction with the MD, Programming, to collect data to better understand the impact of our corps members, alumni teachers, and school leaders, on students, relative to other educators in South Carolina
- Support regional team members in developing the skills to conduct their own data analysis as needed
- Primary liaison between region and national teams as related to all data questions, updates and strategies
- May support Executive Director in developing and implementing a research agenda for the region; May liaise with national research partnerships team to work with an external evaluator who will measure the impact of the regional program
- Engage with functional team leads and serve as regional expert on various data sources including but not limited to:
- Corps member data: pre-service corps member data (from selection through confirmation, onboarding, and institute), corps member surveys (3x/year), and corps member professional development survey data (monthly)
- Alumni survey: compilation/analysis, identifying trends and communicating results with team leads
- Salesforce management: Serve as the regional Salesforce adoption and strategy point person, and serve as a consultant to cross-functional working groups to ensure skill-building and implementation happens across teams
- Explore the creation of an Alumni Insight study with an external organization and propose the strategy
South Carolina Regional Team Responsibilities (20%)
- Participates in Selection of incoming Corps Members 1-2 times per year.
- Participate in regional matriculation efforts by owning a portfolio of 2-5 matriculants across 4-5 matriculation windows.
- Participate in and complete Staff Meeting pre-work and attending monthly regional meetings
- Support and participate in regional events
- Drives own professional development with support from manager and others.
- Engages in community opportunities that have personal meaning/connection
- Understand and effectively communicate Teach For America-South Carolina’s programmatic initiatives, goals, and impact externally and internally.
- Collaborate in creating and supporting a thriving and inclusive corps, alumni, and staff culture grounded in our core values
- A deep desire to impact educational equity through data systems and strategy.
- A strong orientation skill set in data based decision making.
- Previous collection and reporting experience including pulling and creating reports in a variety of data collection landscapes. (Salesforce experience preferred but not required.)
- Previous experience designing, facilitating data usage and analytics trainings for adults.
- 3-7 years of work experience preferred with a proven ability to create, manage and assess data systems that impact strategy work.
- Exceptional Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint skills for creating dashboards, reporting and sharing information with external and internal audiences.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with others across functional teams with a customer service orientation.
- Ability to travel independently, by car, to multiple locations for work meetings between Charleston, SC and Florence, SC and potential school and district sites monthly or quarterly.
- Occasional weekend or evening work is possible. (less than 20%)
- Must be willing to work from Teach For America South Carolina Office in either North Charleston or Florence, SC.
- Committed to the disaggregation of data through the lens of Diversity, Equity and Inclusiveness in order to impact our 2020 Vision and Goals.
- A Values-Driven Leader: demonstrates deep commitment to Teach For America’s mission, core values, and our commitment to diversity and inclusiveness.
- Collaborative spirit and desire to partner closely with other TFA-SC regional team members.
- Reflective and proactively works to grow and improve.
- Excellent self-management skills. Ability to operate, plan, and execute as an individual contributor and team player in order to achieve extraordinary results across teams.
- Both people and outcomes-orientation and a track record of strong results and relationships: leads with a focus on measurable results and strong systems and process while keeping the learning and development needs of team-members in mind when approaching data-based work with others.
- Committed to and comfortable with Identity based leadership development and Racial Identity development as a part of team engagements in the region to fulfill our commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusiveness.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
To be considered for this role, you must submit a resume. Please scroll down to the bottom of the page to find the link to the online application.
Benefits and Salary
Salary for this position is competitive and depends on prior experience. In addition, a comprehensive benefits package is included. Learn more at www.teachforamerica.org/about-us/careers/employee-benefits.
Commitment to Diversity and Equal Opportunity Employment Policy
Teach For America encourages individuals of all ethnic, racial, and socioeconomic backgrounds to apply for this position. We are committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization, as we want to engage all those who can contribute to this effort. Learn more about our diversity on staff: www.teachforamerica.org/about-us/careers/life-at-tfa/workforce-diversity-and-inclusiveness.
Teach For America is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all qualified individuals and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, marital status, veteran status, pregnancy, parental status, genetic information or characteristics (or those of a family member) or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
This job description reflects Teach For America’s assignment of essential functions and qualifications of the role. Nothing in this herein restricts management’s right to assign, reassign or eliminate duties and responsibilities to this role at any time.
Meet Some of Teach For America's Employees
Manager, Teacher Leadership Development
Aimée supports new corps members, helping TFA’s first and second year teachers navigate the classroom and successfully educate students.
Back to top