Coordinator, Development and Systems - Apply by 8/13/2017 (San Francisco, CA)
The Development Coordinator plays a critical role in ensuring that the External Affairs (EA) team and wider regional teams have the key data and internal operational systems to operate successfully, helping us to meet critical fundraising and regional goals. You will lead team-wide data integrity, maintenance and reporting initiatives, process gifts for all three streams of giving (individual, corporate, and foundation), and provide administrative and operational support for the EA team. You have an intrinsic attention to detail, organizational proficiency, knack for learning and building new systems, as well as keen desire to explore more efficient ways to work with the EA and broader regional team to optimize the use of our Salesforce.com constituent relationship management tool ("TFACT") and other technologies. You are able to thrive in a fast-paced environment and easily navigate and provide support for multiple projects while maintaining an unwavering eye for accuracy and quality. You will report directly to the Director of Finance, Strategy & Operations on the EA team.
The demands of the 21st century have completely redefined the knowledge and skills that students need to thrive as citizens and members of the workforce. In order to prepare our children to succeed, we must reimagine classrooms and schools in part by radically transforming the ways we recruit support and develop teachers and education leaders.
Teach For America (TFA) is uniquely positioned to be a leader in this charge because of the diversity and leadership capacity of our people; our reach across all grade-levels, content areas, and school contexts; and the flexibility we have to innovate and iterate on our program. Specifically within the Bay Area, our ever-expanding local network currently consists of nearly 2,800 leaders across all sectors, including 150 school leaders, 60 regional staff members and more than 1,000 TFA teachers (corps members and alumni) reaching 30,000 students across Richmond, San Jose, San Francisco and Oakland. We have set a clear mandate to harness our unique community assets to rethink our organizational approach, striving to build the next generation model for Teach For America and for teacher and educational leadership development.
You value strong relationships. Your organization and excellent customer service skills enable to you to excel on this fast-paced team. You are able to build relationships across different sub-teams, enabling others to operate more efficiently and effectively. You help the team take calculated risks, learn, and apply those learnings as you iterate.
You are a talented manager of workflow. You enjoy developing effective ways to streamline and create processes and protocols for maximum efficiency. You enjoy digging into complex change initiatives. You are the one others seek out when they need support with organization or prioritization. You are flexible and always default to action. You consistently track your progress, step back and learn from where you have succeeded and where you have fallen short.
You are a stickler for detail. You make sure all the "i"s are dotted and all the "t's" are crossed. You feel comfortable making sure all data is aligned, working with our systems to make sure that the data makes sense and matches its partners in other systems, and suggesting improvements that will improve effectiveness and efficiency.
Revenue Tracking and Processing (33%)
- Track, review, and process all revenue received in our region. Work closely with the National Finance team to correctly code all gifts and provide the proper documentation to ensure that all gifts abide by IRS and fiscal requirements
- Update key information on donors and gifts into our Salesforce-based CRM system ('TFACT') in order to maintain an accurate representation of our region's fiscal pipeline
- Ensure that donors are appropriately recognized and acknowledged by maintaining external-facing donor lists and composing and sending tax acknowledgments to comply with IRS guidelines
Regional Data, Systems, and Operations (33%)
- Lead team-wide data integrity, maintenance and reporting initiatives, building and using tools to ensure our regional donor and constituent data is accurate and actionable across the EA and wider regional team
- Serve as regional liaison to national Data & Operations team, coordinating regional systems with national tools and resources
- Develop expertise in our Salesforce-based CRM system ('TFACT') and work with regional team members to help provide TFACT-based constituent data as needed
- Develop efficient system to collect and organize Teach For America – Bay Area content and collateral to be used for external audiences
Administrative and Internal Team Coordination (33%)
- Assist with team projects as needed, including support on team mailings, vendor payments, and supplies ordering
- Process development team expense reimbursements
- Assist with external event coordination and execution as needed
- 1-3 years of work experience
- Knowledge of Microsoft Excel, as well as Salesforce or other donor database preferred
- Previous gift processing or database entry experience a plus, but not required
- Demonstrated ability to learn new data management and training/reporting technologies quickly, and to interpret and synthesize data and information from multiple sources
- Ability to thrive in a fast-faced environment and manage multiple projects at once, with strong attention to detail
- Strong collaborative spirit that is apt in working with others while driving projects independently
- Bachelor's degree a plus, but not required.
- Some weekend and evening work required; ability to travel around the Bay Area
To be considered for this role, you must submit an online application along with a cover letter detailing why you are applying for this role. Please scroll down to the bottom of the page to find the link. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis; we plan to notify all candidates who are moving forward.
Benefits and Salary
Salary for this position is competitive and depends on prior experience. In addition, a comprehensive benefits package is included. Learn more at
Commitment to Diversity and Equal Opportunity Employment Policy
Teach For America encourages individuals of all ethnic, racial, and socioeconomic backgrounds to apply for this position. We are committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization, as we want to engage all those who can contribute to this effort. Learn more about our diversity on staff:
Teach For America is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all qualified individuals and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, marital status, veteran status, pregnancy, parental status, genetic information or characteristics (or those of a family member) or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
This job description reflects Teach For America's assignment of essential functions and qualifications of the role. Nothing in this herein restricts management's right to assign, reassign or eliminate duties and responsibilities to this role at any time.
Meet Some of Teach For America's Employees
Manager, Teacher Leadership Development
Aimée supports new corps members, helping TFA’s first and second year teachers navigate the classroom and successfully educate students.
Back to top