Assistant to the Executive Director & Regional Operations Coordinator (Durham, NC)
Teach For America – ENC seeks a driven, focused individual to serve as the Assistant to the Executive Director and Operations Coordinator (AED/OC). The AED/OC will provide critical planning, execution, and administrative support to our Executive Director. Primary work streams will include, but are not limited to, executive support, office operations, financial operations, and special projects. This position will report directly to the Director, Operations, and work very closely with the Executive Director.
This is an exciting opportunity for someone who is looking to understand the inner workings of a dynamic nonprofit organization. This position provides a chance to learn, hone, and master key operational skills such as budgeting and financial management, data analysis and strategic planning, and maintaining a positive team culture. The AED/OC will provide critical behind-the-scenes support to help advance our collective work. The AED/OC will also gain incredible insight into the broader Eastern North Carolina education landscape, and will learn how various institutions, organizations, and individuals are working to realize equity for all children in our state.
Founded in 1990 as one of the first sites, Teach For America – Eastern North Carolina has approximately 260 corps members (first- and second-year teachers) reaching nearly 20,000 students. Approximately 800 alumni of Teach For America work in education and across all sectors locally. The region is supported by a funding base of over $6 million, and 36 regional staff members work to train and support corps members, strengthen relationships with local schools and districts, foster the leadership of local alumni, grow the regional funding base, and influence the prevailing ideology to ensure that we can have an even greater impact.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, the following:
Executive Support Duties (50%)
Ensure that our executive director and his team are well-supported and operating at maximum efficiency.
- Provide exemplary administrative support to the Executive Director: scheduling meetings and conference calls, maintaining calendars, arranging travel, managing correspondence, and securing necessary resources and information
- Increase the efficiency and organization of the Executive Director and ensure his/her time is aligned with his priorities
- Act as a liaison between external constituents (such as board members, community partners, corps members, alumni) and the Executive Director
- Craft correspondence for a variety of constituents for the Executive Director
Office Operations (20%)
Facilitate a welcoming, inclusive and fun (yet still professional) office and work environment while ensuring that the necessary resources and systems are in place for team success.
- Support the management of office operations by developing systems that maximize efficiency for all staff members based in the office
- Manage facilities to enhance brand identity, productivity, and staff satisfaction, including maintenance of office technology and efficient use of office space and resources
- Serve as primary phone and reception contact for the ENC team, ensuring quality customer service among corps members, external contacts, and other Teach For America team members
- Act as a liaison to building management, local vendors, and Teach For America’s national support teams, such as technology, marketing, administration, and finance
- Problem solve office operations-related issues as they arise; provide real-time operational support to our team as needed
- Ensure all staff have the necessary materials and resources to operate effectively
- Plan staff event logistics, including but not limited to team meetings, retreats, socials, celebrations and others
- Develop protocols for management of shared office space (Eg: kitchen, conference rooms)
Financial Operations (20%)
Ensure that our team finances are in order and supported by efficient systems.
- Coordinate regular budget planning with functional teams
- Process staff reimbursements, allocate corporate card expenses, and pay bills
- Compile budget and finance reports to functional teams
Special Projects, Planning and Analysis, and General Admin Support (10%)
Serve as invaluable team resource as we leverage data to improve our work.
- Maintain an inspiring office space that reflects our work and culture
- Work on cross-functional projects, such as creating/editing presentations, preparing for staff meetings, or coordinating large meetings or events that involve key community or district partners
- Support on other special projects as needed, including conducting research and identifying strategic options and learning best practices from our colleagues across the organization
- Be available for ad hoc support for events and projects of different functional teams, such as providing logistics support for events, compiling data, or editing documents
- Maintain the ENC Regional calendar and ensure all staff are aware of events and team-wide activities by communicating through multiple mediums including but not limited to: team-wide website and all-staff newsletter
- Prior administrative and/or operations experience is preferred
- 1-3 years professional experience preferred
- Position is scoped for 45 hrs/week, with some additional hours during peak periods
- Occasional evening or weekend work will be required
- Some travel required for conferences or trainings (1-2 times/year)
- Excellent organization skills and unwavering attention to detail
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Genuine excitement for “behind the scenes” work – using efficiency and support of others to increase the results for a larger unit or team of people
- Strong judgment and ability to handle confidential or sensitive information with a high level of discretion
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
- Ability to juggle several projects at once with a spirit of flexibility and positive outlook
- Strong customer service orientation
- Intermediate proficiency with MS Outlook, PowerPoint, and Excel highly preferred
- Bachelor’s degree or high school diploma with equivalent experience
Please scroll down to the bottom of the page to find the link to the online application. For more information, please contact [email protected] or visit www.teachforamerica.org/about-us/careers.
Benefits and Salary
Salary for this position is competitive and depends on prior experience. In addition, a comprehensive benefits package is included. Learn more at www.teachforamerica.org/about-us/careers/employee-benefits.
Commitment to Diversity and Equal Opportunity Employment Policy
Teach For America encourages individuals of all ethnic, racial, and socioeconomic backgrounds to apply for this position. We are committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization, as we want to engage all those who can contribute to this effort. Learn more about our diversity on staff: www.teachforamerica.org/about-us/careers/life-at-tfa/workforce-diversity-and-inclusiveness.
Teach For America is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all qualified individuals and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, marital status, veteran status, pregnancy, parental status, genetic information or characteristics (or those of a family member) or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
This job description reflects Teach For America’s assignment of essential functions and qualifications of the role. Nothing in this herein restricts management’s right to assign, reassign or eliminate duties and responsibilities to this role at any time.
Back to top