User Experience Researcher
What do we do?
Teachers Pay Teachers (or TpT, as we call it) is a community of millions of educators who come together to share their work, their insights, and their inspiration with one another. We are the first and largest open marketplace where teachers share, sell, and buy original educational resources. Our community brings immediate access to a world of expertise and offers educators more time to focus on students and teaching.
The New York Times called the phenomenon we lead “A Sharing Economy Where Teachers Win”.
Why do we do it?
Our dream is to make the expertise and wisdom of all the teachers in the world available to anyone, anywhere, at any time. We believe that we can help create real good in the world by empowering the educators to teach their best.
Who are we looking for?
We modeled our company culture on the virtues of our community of teachers and we are assembling one of the most talented teams in New York. We think this article in EdSurge about us sums it up.
We’re building a team of deeply good people doing great things. We listen first. We love our work. And we are all teachers and learners in whatever we do. We believe that productivity is never an accident. It’s the result of a commitment to excellence, intelligent planning, passionate team work, and focused effort. We want every day to be fun and to matter.
TpT is looking for a User Experience Researcher to help us discover, build, and validate our educator empowerment products. In this role you will work with teams of Product Designers, Product Managers, Engineers, Community Specialists, and others to develop new features. Our research needs range from formative to evaluative, ethnography to usability. We are looking for a researcher generalist with broad skills in qualitative and quantitative concepts, as well as design research methods. You’ll inspire change at all stages of product development by delivering exciting oral, written and visual presentations about our findings.
- Generate insights that both fuel ideation and evaluate designs.
- Work cross-functionally with Design, Product Management, Engineering, Marketing, and Community.
- Conduct research that addresses both user behavior and attitudes of our marketplace experience.
- Conduct research using a wide variety of quantitative methods and a subset of qualitative methods, such as surveys, interviews, online immersion, and observations.
- Communicate results and illustrate suggestions in compelling and creative ways.
- BA/BS in Computer Science, Human-Computer Interaction, Cognitive Science, Experimental Psychology, Anthropology, Information Science or related field or equivalent practical experience.
- MA/MS in HCI, Psychology, Social Science or a related field preferred
- 3+ years experience in applied product research, preferably in community-driven search and marketplace software products.
- Knowledge of quantitative, behavioral analysis, and statistical concepts
- Experience with SQL and Python (or R) preferred.
- Experience with a range of remote usability testing tools (Invision, Keynote, and Hangouts to platforms like Usertesting.com, Validately, and Full Story).
- Strong understanding of strengths and shortcomings of different research methods, including when and how to apply them during each product phase.
- Excellent working knowledge of statistics and the principles of experiment design.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, negotiation and collaboration skills.
Meet Some of Teachers Pay Teachers's Employees
As a product manager on the Search & Discovery Team, Charlotte spends her time collaborating with designers, tech-leads, and engineers to optimize search results to best serve the TpT community.
Back to top