At Teachers Pay Teachers (TpT), we're unlocking the power of educator-created content. TpT gives educators access to a trusted, one-of-a-kind community. We are the world's first marketplace of our kind and founded by a teacher, for teachers as the go-to platform for teacher-created content for nearly 15 years. We are currently serving more than 7.5 million users and more than 85% of U.S. teachers. TpT is focused on building the next generation of e-learning experiences for millions of students and teachers across the world. If you haven't heard of TpT yet and want to learn more, just ask any teacher.
The Search and Recommendations Team:
The Information Retrieval team at TpT is focused on enabling our teacher community to easily discover high quality resources that meet the needs of their students. We are a highly metrics-driven team working cross-functionally to improve the search and recommendations experiences across TpT’s growing suite of products.
As part of this team you will be making large and small changes to the search experience and algorithms to have an enormous impact on millions of educators.
As a technical lead at TpT, you own the on-time, successful delivery of a team’s work. To accomplish this, you are expected to participate in cross-functional alignment on product requirements and timelines. You guide the engineering team in successfully translating these product needs into a plan of action that leads to a high-quality product reaching users’ hands and meeting business goals. In the process, you drive the team’s engineering systems and processes to deliver products at high velocity and quality.
- Drive delivery of high quality products and features by working with cross-functional leads (product, design, marketing) to define, scope and prioritize upcoming projects
- Provide technical oversight to the breadth of engineering work on the team, participating directly in implementation as required.
- Implement a culture of continuous iteration and learning both on the product and team processes.
- Encourage and exemplify exceptional communication and collaboration on the team. Leverage these practices to help the team resolve ambiguity and make effective decisions.
- Effectively scale yourself by defining and delegating projects where appropriate, while continuing to provide helpful input to teammates.
- Strong technical track record, with deep knowledge in at least one part of the stack and a demonstrated ability to drive systems-level decisions across the stack.
- Experience working on a team focused on search systems, including work on engagement and relevance metrics.
- Excellent verbal and written communication that is effective both amongst engineers and cross-functionally.
- Deep technical curiosity to learn and fill gaps in knowledge about systems you are responsible for. Able to learn and provide effective feedback to peers working on a wide breadth of technologies.
- 4+ years of experience in development at scale, with clear examples of leading large, complex projects. At least 1 year of experience in a technical leadership role.
Benefits & Perks:
At TpT, we believe the positive experience of employees is essential to growth, both individually and collectively. To achieve our mission of ‘Empowering Educators to Teach at Their Best,’ we must also empower the members of our TpT Team to work at their best. To that end, two of our core company values are “We Learn and Grow Together” and “We Enjoy the Journey.” We’ve committed to these values and to our employees through investing in added benefits and perks:
- Comprehensive Medical, Vision & Dental Benefits
- Free Telemedicine Membership - 24/7 access to trusted medical advisors
- Generous PTO and Wellness Days
- 5 Week “Recharge Leave” after 5 Years, to refresh and celebrate the impact you’ve had at TpT
- Generous Parental Leave (for new parents) for time to adjust to parenthood, plus additional six weeks for the birth parent
- Onsite Mother’s Room
- ‘Employee Resource Groups’ (ERGs) to promote employee inclusivity and belonging
- Engineering Learning Fridays (ELF), to provide a space each week for Engineering teams to collaborate and learn from each other
- ‘Professional Development’ Stipend, to support the professional growth of employees (including - but not limited to - subscriptions, books, lectures, etc.)
- Annual Company Events (Camp TpT, Field Day, Hackathons, Holiday Party, Summer Picnic, Classroom Visits, etc.)
Here at TpT we value Diversity & Inclusion and encourage people to bring their most authentic selves to work. We cultivate an environment where people are recognized and celebrated for their individuality.
Any TpT applicant who requires reasonable accommodations during the interview process should contact the TpT People Ops Team (firstname.lastname@example.org) to make the need for an accommodation known.Finally, if you’re a California resident, California law requires that we provide you notice about the collection and use of your personal information. We encourage you to read it carefully. You can find our full notice here.