What do we do?
Teachers Pay Teachers (or TpT, as we call it) is a community of millions of educators who come together to share their work, their insights, and their inspiration with one another. We are the first and largest open marketplace where teachers share, sell, and buy original educational resources. Our community brings immediate access to a world of expertise and offers educators more time to focus on students and teaching.
The New York Times called the phenomenon we lead “A Sharing Economy Where Teachers Win”.
Why do we do it?
Our dream is to make the expertise and wisdom of all the teachers in the world available to anyone, anywhere, at any time. We believe that we can help create real good in the world by empowering the educators to teach their best.
TpT engineering in NYC is a rapidly growing team. As engineers, we keep our community in mind every step of the way. We're investing in TpT's infrastructure to make sure it's not only successful, but a joy to work on.
We’ve modeled our company culture on the virtues of our community of teachers and we are assembling one of the most talented teams in New York. We think this article in EdSurge about sums it up. We’re building a team of deeply good people doing great things. We listen first. We love our work. And we are all teachers and learners in whatever we do. We believe that productivity is never an accident. It’s the result of a commitment to excellence, intelligent planning, passionate team work, and focused effort. We want every day to be fun and to matter.
As a Software Engineer at TpT, your work has all the possibilities and challenges of any tech company in hyper growth. You’ll be working closely with our product team to uncover opportunities, build new features, and fix bugs - all while load, users, and transactions are rapidly increasing.
We've built a strong and healthy community that includes 2/3 of all US teachers, who are actively using our site. But there's still a lot of work to be done to update and modernize our stack from top to bottom, in addition to building new products to serve our huge audience.
You'll be tackling problems big and small - from discovery & personalization to mult-service orchestration and API development. With over ~2/3 of US teachers using the site (approximately 3.0M teachers in the US and over ~4.0M internationally), there will be plenty of opportunities to get your hands dirty solving hard problems.
In this role, you will:
- Design, build, and manage technology to support the continued expansion of the TpT marketplace
- Work collaboratively with our current great engineering team to imagine, design, develop, test, and launch software that wow our community and inspire our peers
- Help build an engineering culture that makes every engineer feel empowered to write their best code every day
Qualities for a successful candidate:
- Experience building software for web and mobile applications
- Comfortable working across the full stack in a fast paced, dynamic environment
- Be endlessly curious
- 2+ years of experience in web development, preferably with startups
- BS in computer science or equivalent experience preferred
Extra Points for:
- Experience with service oriented architectures
- OSS Contributor
- Knowledge of Search, Marketplaces, or Ed-Tech
Meet Some of Teachers Pay Teachers's Employees
As a product manager on the Search & Discovery Team, Charlotte spends her time collaborating with designers, tech-leads, and engineers to optimize search results to best serve the TpT community.
Back to top