Site Reliability Engineer
What do we do?
Teachers Pay Teachers (or TpT, as we call it) is a community of millions of educators who come together to share their work, their insights, and their inspiration with one another. We are the first and largest open marketplace where teachers share, sell, and buy original educational resources. Our community brings immediate access to a world of expertise and offers educators more time to focus on students and teaching.
The New York Times called the phenomenon we lead “A Sharing Economy Where Teachers Win”.
Why do we do it?
Our dream is to make the expertise and wisdom of all the teachers in the world available to anyone, anywhere, at any time. We believe that we can help create real good in the world by empowering the educators to teach their best.
Who are we looking for?
We modeled our company culture on the virtues of our community of teachers and we are assembling one of the most talented teams in New York. We think this article in EdSurge about sums it up.
We’re building a team of deeply good people doing great things. We listen first. We love our work. And we are all teachers and learners in whatever we do. We believe that productivity is never an accident. It’s the result of a commitment to excellence, intelligent planning, passionate team work, and focused effort. We want every day to be fun and to matter.
TpT engineering in NYC is a rapidly growing team. As engineers we keep our community in mind every step of the way. We're investing in TpT's infrastructure to make sure it's not only successful, but an absolute joy to work on. You will play a key part of defining our culture and choosing our tool set.
As a Site Reliability Engineer at TpT you will be responsible for the foundation on which TpT is built. We are looking for individuals that are highly curious and driven to create stable and scalable solutions for an ever-changing environment. As we continue to grow we’ll need your help to build a platform that lets us move quickly and with poise.
From day one you’ll be working at scale; our highly engaged user base includes over ⅔ of all US-based teachers. As we grow our product you’ll take the initiative to design and implement simple and elegant solutions to our growing infrastructure needs.
We believe that engineering is more than just writing code and we’re serious about our engineering mission and values. Join us to help build an engineering culture that empowers every engineer to make the biggest impact every day.
In this role, you will:
- Lead the charge towards immutable infrastructure using tools like Chef, Packer, and Docker
- Build a platform that supports our values of self-service and breaking down barriers between teams
- Turn a healthy aversion for manual processes into bots, scripts and tools that allow us to focus on making a great product
- Work with other teams to architect systems for simplicity and reliability
- Be willing to teach and learn from others on a daily basis
- Systematically identify and clear up performance bottlenecks throughout our stack
- Turn your knowledge of how to monitor systems into a well-tuned network of alerts
Qualities for a successful candidate:
- Experience with configuration management tools such as Chef, Puppet, or Ansible
- Readiness to write scripts in various languages including PHP, Python and Shell
- Experience working with service oriented architectures
- Experience with virtualization paradigms and Cloud platforms such as AWS
- Be endlessly curious
- 3+ years of experience in web development and operations
Extra Points for:
- Being an active contributor to the open source community
- Knowledge of Ed-Tech
Meet Some of Teachers Pay Teachers's Employees
As a product manager on the Search & Discovery Team, Charlotte spends her time collaborating with designers, tech-leads, and engineers to optimize search results to best serve the TpT community.
Back to top