Legal, Vice President
What do we do?
Teachers Pay Teachers (or TpT, as we call it) is a community of millions of educators who come together to share their work, their insights, and their inspiration with one another. We are the first and largest open marketplace where teachers share, sell, and buy original educational resources. Our community brings immediate access to a world of expertise and offers educators more time to focus on students and teaching.
The New York Times called the phenomenon we lead “A Sharing Economy Where Teachers Win”.
Why do we do it?
Our dream is to make the expertise and wisdom of all the teachers in the world available to anyone, anywhere, at any time. We believe that we can help create real good in the world by empowering the educators to teach their best.
Who are we looking for?
We modeled our company culture on the virtues of our community of teachers and we are assembling one of the most talented teams in New York. We think this article in EdSurge about sums it up.
We’re building a team of deeply good people doing great things. We listen first. We love our work. And we are all teachers and learners in whatever we do. We believe that productivity is never an accident. It’s the result of a commitment to excellence, intelligent planning, passionate team work, and focused effort. We want every day to be fun and to matter.
Our VP of Legal will need to be a jack of all legal trades with deep experience, great creativity, and strong moral judgement and attention to details. It is also important to be a great team player and someone with a real passion for education and teachers.
- Provide strategic legal advice to the executive team on the wide variety of matters that arise at a fast-growing education technology company
- Develop and drive company’s legal strategy
- Manage relationships and budgets for all outside counsel
- Support and grow the legal team as the business and business needs grow
Transactional, Employment, and Other Complex Bread & Butter Law Stuff
- Lead and / or support all corporate negotiations and transactions
- Establish and grow a premier legal function to effectively and efficiently support all business functions as TpT scales
- Work closely with business development, marketing, finance, people operations, customer experience, and product teams to provide creative legal solutions to advance the business
- Advise on employment matters, corporate governance issues, regulatory matters, and intellectual property development and protection
- Draft, negotiate, and administer various commercial, technology, and corporate agreements
- Establish internal procedures and processes for the operation of the legal function
- Develop resources and conduct trainings to provide a clear legal framework for TpT’s teams
- Assist in other areas, as needed, including real estate, insurance, risk management
Securities, Corporate Governance and Other Important Nitty Gritty
- Oversee all aspects of corporate governance and compliance
- Maintain and manage programs in support of our governance structure
- Oversee and manage cap table updates and changes
- Manage incentive unit program, including preparing and updating materials to help every member of TpT understand their options and choices
- Structure and lead, as needed, any tender offers and / or financings
Marketplace Integrity, IP, Copyright & Privacy
- Manage and scale policies and operational programs to ensure TpT’s marketplace remains free of offensive, infringing, or inappropriate content, in concert with the laws that govern marketplaces (e.g. FERPA, Safe Harbor and DMCA compliance)
- Grow and oversee existing Marketplace Integrity team to ensure security of marketplace and minimize fraud
- Develop training resources and external guidelines to allow for Marketplace Integrity team to efficiently scale
- Proactively neutralize risks and resolve disputes
Education Policy & Government Relations
- Advise on education law issues as they relate to TpT’s current and future business
- Continually review and analyze legal risks and opportunities for TpT from the evolving education and privacy regulatory environments
- Lead regulatory and governmental affairs to expand market opportunities
- Engage directly with politicians and policy-makers as needed
Qualities for a successful candidate:
- Believes in our mission to empower educators
- 10+ years combined law firm and in-house experience
- Experience leading and managing a legal team
- Strong team player
- Empowers others to do their work better
- Balances an understanding of risk with the realities of building a company
- Knows when to seek outside help, but also excited to do all levels of work
- Able to work on a wide variety of matters, and to solve any problem that arises
- Strong interpersonal and team skills and ability to work with our community
- Flexible and willing to work on a broad variety of matters
Education and background:
- JD degree and licensed to practice in NY
- Background in education law is a big plus
Meet Some of Teachers Pay Teachers's Employees
As a Community Specialist, Laura splits her time between community outreach and analysis, always focused on determining the best way to serve the needs of TpT’s community of educators.
Back to top