We believe teachers have one of the most vital jobs in the world, and we’re here to support them. What began as a word-of-mouth marketplace where teachers could buy and sell educational resources is now a teacher-powered digital learning platform. Our community of 7M+ educators relies on us for engaging, accessible, classroom-ready materials—and we rely on our team members to continue developing solutions that improve the lives of teachers, students, and, ultimately, the state of education itself.
As manager for Data Engineering, you will be supporting the Data Engineering team, which is responsible for providing clean, curated, and reliable data to TpT’s Analytics, Product, Data Science, Marketing, and other teams, as well as our teachers and teacher authors. You will be growing and supporting the team’s scope and technical maturity, and driving their roadmap and philosophy.
In this role you will:
- Lead, recruit, and manage software and data engineers from entry-level to expert level
- Provide expertise in data infrastructure, systems integration, and rapid software development
- Support team members with architecture-level and code-level feedback
- Support the team with rapid application development and deployment, including continuous integration and deployment pipelines
- Proactively identify ways in which to improve the quality, timeliness and reliability of data
- Ensure the team is consistently delivering impactful work
- Work collaboratively with peers across business and engineering teams to manage stakeholder relationships and dependencies
- Support team member’s professional growth and development
Qualities for a successful candidate:
- At least 3 years of experience as a data engineer
- Comfortable with lean engineering and project management practices
- Has an established track record of successfully managing and delivering several large projects
- Expertise with modern data warehouse design patterns and tools
- Strong ability to evaluate technical tradeoffs
- Well formed opinions on quality and maintainability of technical systems
- Interest in working in a fast paced tech and product oriented company
Extra credit for experience with:
- Experience with technologies we use in our data stack: Stitch, BigQuery, Google Cloud Platform, dbt, Airflow, Salesforce, Looker
- Experience with technologies we use in our product stack: Kubernetes, Docker, Terraform, Airflow
- Experience with Ed-Tech or online marketplaces
- Open Source or professional community contributions
Benefits & Perks:
At TpT, we believe the positive experience of employees is essential to growth, both individually and collectively. To achieve our mission of ‘Empowering Educators to Teach at Their Best,’ we must also empower the members of our TpT Team to work at their best. To that end, two of our core company values are “We Learn and Grow Together” and “We Enjoy the Journey.” We’ve committed to these values and to our employees through investing in added benefits and perks:
- Comprehensive Medical, Vision & Dental Benefits
- Free Telemedicine Membership - 24/7 access to trusted medical advisors
- Generous PTO and Wellness Days
- 5 Week “Recharge Leave” after 5 Years, to refresh and celebrate the impact you’ve had at TpT
- Generous Parental Leave (for new parents) for time to adjust to parenthood, plus additional six weeks for the birth parent
- ‘Employee Resource Groups’ (ERGs) to promote employee inclusivity and belonging
- Engineering Learning Fridays (ELF), to provide a space each week for Engineering teams to collaborate and learn from each other
- ‘Professional Development’ Stipend, to support the professional growth of employees (including - but not limited to - subscriptions, books, lectures, etc.)
- Annual Company Events (Camp TpT, Field Day, Hackathons, Holiday Party, Summer Picnic, Classroom Visits, etc.)
Here at TpT we value Diversity & Inclusion and encourage people to bring their most authentic selves to work. We cultivate an environment where people are recognized and celebrated for their individuality.
Any TpT applicant who requires reasonable accommodations during the interview process can contact the TpT People Ops Team (firstname.lastname@example.org) to make the need for an accommodation known.
Finally, if you’re a California resident, California law requires that we provide you notice about the collection and use of your personal information. We encourage you to read it carefully. You can find our full notice here.