Director of Communications
What we do
Teachers Pay Teachers (or TpT, as we call it) is a community of millions of educators who come together to share their work, their insights, and their inspiration with one another. We are the world’s most popular online marketplace for teachers to share, sell, and buy original educational resources. Our community brings immediate access to a world of expertise and offers educators more time to focus on students and teaching. The New York Times called the phenomenon we lead “A Sharing Economy Where Teachers Win”.
Why we do it
Our dream is to make the expertise and wisdom of all the teachers in the world available to anyone, anywhere, at any time. We believe that we can help create real good in the world by empowering the educators to teach their best.
Who we’re looking for
We modeled our company culture on the virtues of our community of teachers and we are assembling one of the most talented teams in New York. We think this article in EdSurge about sums it up. We’re building a team of deeply good people doing great things. We listen first. We love our work. And we are all teachers and learners in whatever we do. We believe that productivity is never an accident. It’s the result of a commitment to excellence, intelligent planning, passionate teamwork, and focused effort. We want every day to be fun and to matter.
As the Director of Communications, you will be responsible for setting the communications strategy for TpT. You will help us bring our story to the world by showing how teachers are leading change in education through TpT. You will build successful PR programs, develop strong educational trade media relations, and develop our thought leadership and overall media relations strategy. You a creative storyteller who can create a compelling narrative through a wide array of mediums – whether connecting with external or internal audiences. Excellent media and community relations, crisis communications, communications strategy, and content development skills are crucial. The ideal candidate loves both setting strategies and executing on it, and excels in mentoring others. You will report to the Vice President of Marketing and Communications.
- Elevate TpT’s public relations strategy across all communication channels, from feature stories to social media, further establishing the company and its content creators as innovators and influencers in the education industry
- Create and pitch compelling narratives, uncovering differentiated media angles of interest for pitches.
- Create and execute communications calendar that aligns launches, initiatives, and corporate milestones with PR opportunities
- Understand broader industry trends to find proactive opportunities for outreach
- Work closely with external PR agencies to conduct PR outreach and source speaking opportunities
- Monitor high visibility and business-building awards programs and manage company entries
- Prepare our executive team for press, speaking, and broadcast opportunities
- Develop and train spokespeople, and manage speaking engagements for executives
- Develop thought leadership communications and media-worthy narratives that support the growth of the organization
- Builds relationships with external influencers. Serves as a spokesperson as needed
- Provide crisis management counsel, guiding TpT through high-intensity and reputation-impacting events
- Serve as a strategic partner to senior leadership on internal communications to support employee engagement and retention
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism or related field is required
- 8-10 years experience in-house or at an agency (a combination of both is preferred)
- Proven history of driving feature press strategy and securing high-impact media placements in education or an industry with similar media constraints
- Crisis communications and issues management experience required
Qualities of a successful candidate
- Exceptional written and oral communication and interpersonal skills
- A knack for storytelling and creating compelling narratives
- Executive presence; comfortable providing incisive, strategic counsel to senior executives and business heads
- Possesses a level of passion and creativity that inspires people
- Appreciates feedback and values honest, thoughtful critique
- Is a data-driven, results-oriented team player
- Experience within the news industry or as a journalist
- Experience working in technology and education
- Comfortable with taking risks
Meet Some of Teachers Pay Teachers's Employees
As a Community Specialist, Laura splits her time between community outreach and analysis, always focused on determining the best way to serve the needs of TpT’s community of educators.
Back to top