Manager of Application Development
The purpose of this position is but is not limited to leadership of the BTS Application Development team. This team supports development of TASC Platforms. The individual occupying this position collaborates with company customers and other stakeholders to identify customer requirements and assess impacts to other data and systems, consider available technologies, compare costs and benefits, and recommend solutions. The individual acts as general contractor on projects and populate project teams with specialists in various technical areas, to ensure results meet negotiated customer expectations and adhere to internal standards and strategies.
Incumbents are responsible for coordinating systems analysis and application development activities through direct and indirect staff including onshore and offshore development teams. Responsible for directing development teams in the areas of scheduling, technical direction, future planning and standard development practices. Also participates in budgeting and capital equipment processes and quality/maturity improvement activities for the development organization. Meets scheduled milestones to ensure project/program objectives are met in a timely manner and has an in-depth knowledge of the principles, theories, practices and techniques for managing the activities related to planning, managing and implementing systems analysis and application development projects and programs.
This is a full-time, exempt position working Monday through Friday with core hours of 8:00am to 5:00pm. The position reports to our Director of Application Engineering and will be work out of our corporate offices in Madison, Wisconsin.
- Assume key overall responsibility for the various TASC Platforms
- Partner and build close working relationships with the entire technology management team and key business leaders
- Manage the development and deployment of new applications, systems software, and/or enhancements to existing applications throughout the enterprise
- Research and make recommendations on software products and services in support of procurement and development efforts
- Coordinate feasibility studies for software and system products under consideration for purchase, and give advice based on findings
- As a liaison, ensure active, regular communication with business teams and technology teams and facilitate prioritizing new information/data requirements
- Business Subject Matter Expert on the TASC Platform being managed
- Ensure that development projects meet business requirements and goals, fulfill end-user requirements, and identify and resolve systems issues
- Ensure Team follows an effective SDLC Process (Agile) and when necessary make improvements
- Review and analyze existing application effectiveness and efficiency, and then develop strategies for improving or leveraging these systems. Assure the team meets customer needs for scalable, quality platform
- Provide technical leadership to project managers and programmers working on development project teams
- Hands on assistance programming with developers. Review application code, quality assurance scripts and dev ops installation scripts
- Cultivate, disseminate, and enforce quality assurance best practices, including automated testing.
- Hire and train technical staff, prepare and conduct performance reviews, and manage a staff of full time employees, contractors, and offshore resources
- Manage expenses within approved budget level
- Author contracts and vendor negotiation
- Ability to foster and advance team members career path
- Encourage and hold team members accountable for performance and behaviors that align with TASC culture
- Familiarity with vendor contract structures and writing contracts
- Ability to successfully develop and implement new technology
- Skilled in project management and execution of multiple or complex projects
- In-depth knowledge of Agile software development methodologies
- Ability to perform software development and/or programming design and systems management involving web-based applications, automated software and system management tools
- Knowledge of system and software quality assurance best practices and methodologies
- Bachelors degree in MIS, Computer Science, Engineering, or related discipline with software development focus; MBA degree (with undergraduate degree in a technical discipline) is a plus
- Eight or more years of progressive broad-based information systems experience
- Three or more years of demonstrated management/supervisory experience in application implementation
- Five or more years of relevant business area experience (as either an IT or line-of business employee, in current or another company), with two years of solving business problems with appropriate technology fit
- Previous experience in overseeing the direction, development, and implementation of software solutions
- Project management experience in an agile environment (Scrum certification is a plus)
- Adaptability - Adapts to change, is open to new ideas, takes on new responsibilities, handles pressure, and adjusts plans to meet changing needs
- Initiative - Deals with problems as they arise, focusing energy and resources on those situations until resolved; identifies new opportunities and takes action; takes on new responsibilities when needed
- Results Focus - Can be counted on to meet or exceed goals; pushes self and others for results; is a conscientious worker who can be relied upon to handle unforeseen obstacles
- Customer Focus - Meets internal and external customer expectations; delivers upon commitments; build customer confidence; follows through on requests gaining trust and respect
- Ethics/Integrity - Is seen as a direct, truthful individual; adheres to appropriate core values at all times; acts in line with those values; rewards the right values and disapproves of others; practices what he/she preaches
Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States. TASC participates in E-Verify.
See Inside the Office of TASC
Total Administrative Services Corporation is a national leader in third-party benefits administration and has been setting standards in the industry since 1975. The corporation is committed to making a positive impact in the lives of its employees, customers, and local communities by offering flexible spending accounts, health reimbursement arrangements, health savings accounts, COBRA, and countless customized benefit plans.
Back to top