Sr Engineering Manager - Prepaid
Description: About us:
Target is an iconic brand, a Fortune 50 company and one of America's leading retailers.
Target as a tech company? Absolutely. We're the behind-the-scenes powerhouse that fuels Target's passion and commitment to cutting-edge innovation. We anchor every facet of one of the world's best-loved retailers with a strong technology framework that relies on the latest tools and technologies-and the brightest people-to deliver incredible value to guests online and in stores. Target Technology Services is on a mission to offer the systems, tools and support that guests and team members need and deserve. Our high-performing teams balance independence with collaboration, and we pride ourselves on being versatile, agile and creative. We drive industry-leading technologies in support of every angle of the business, and help ensure that Target operates smoothly, securely and reliably from the inside out.
About This Opportunity
As a Sr. Engineering Manager, you will lead an engineering team in an agile environment building solutions. The key to the success of this position is having a strong and innovative approach to problem solving, great technical leadership, excellent communication (written and verbal, formal and informal), flexibility, and a self-motivated working style with attention to detail.
As the Sr. Engineering Manager of the Prepaid team, you take the lead for the software development and management of systems supporting our Financial and Retail Services (FRS) business. Your team is accountable for the systems enabling Target's Gift Card products, prepaid card business, and REDcard acceptance. These products are consumed daily by guests online and in our stores while enabling easy and frictionless guest payment. You will own the detailed technical roadmap for your product leveraging the latest open source technology and CI/CD pipeline tools. You will work closely with the product management team to set the product's direction and maintain the team's backlog. You will have the opportunity to coach and develop your engineering team while influencing your peers and leaders across Target Technology Services.
- Manage overall software development cycle, driving best practices and ensuring development of high quality code for common assets and framework components.
- Build and lead a team of high caliber software development engineers
- Architect and develop the best technical design and approach
- Manage and execute against project/agile plans and set deadlines
- Drive resolution of technology roadblocks including code, infrastructure, build and deployment
- Manage cross-product technical dependencies and drive resolutions to conflicts
- Advocate for technologies, frameworks, design patterns, processes and guiding values of the domain architecture
- Ensure all code adheres to all development & security standards
- 8+ years of engineering (software development) experience. Experience with at least one full cycle implementation from requirement to production. Experience in building/implementing high performance & scalable server-side applications
- Experience operating medium to large scale systems
- Experience with test-driven development and software test automation
- Strong sense of ownership
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with the ability to present complex technical information in a clear and concise manner to variety of audiences
- BS degree in computer science or equivalent
- 3+ years of managing software development teams with a strong track record of project delivery for large, cross-functional projects
- Experience with Java, Spring, Camel, and Kafka
- Experience with API architecture and cloud-ready development (Docker and Kubernetes)
- Experience with enterprise level payment systems and processing
- Extensive experience working in an agile environment (i.e. user stories, iterative development, etc.)
Meet Some of Target's Employees
Lead Software Engineer
Roberto is a Lead Software Engineer in the application development space for Target. He leverages the Java stack to build scalable systems and ensures that Target’s product teams are using continuous integration to deliver high-quality applications.
Back to top