Sr Engineering Manager - First & Middle Mile Transportation
Description: About This Opportunity
As a Sr. Engineering Manager, you will lead an engineering team in an agile environment building solutions. The key to the success of this position is having strong & innovative approach to problem solving, great technical leadership, excellent communication (written and verbal, formal and informal), flexibility, and a self-motivated working style with attention to detail.
Target's Supply Chain Portfolio team builds and operates software that enables Target's supply chain to procure, handle, and move inventory so that it is optimally positioned and can fulfill guest orders in stores and via digital channels. Supply chain technology is fast evolving to deliver more flexible capabilities to meet the changing demands of the guest - be that next day or same day delivery, proactive movement to meet guest demand, and flexible handling to meet different service levels. We are meeting Target's strategic supply chain capability needs by building custom, highly performant, micro-services based software from the ground up.
First & Middle Mile Transportation Team: Lead the teams that are building and operating the software that manages routing, scheduling, and tracking of the movement of product into and within Target's supply chain. These teams build transactional systems that are logically complex and critical to Target's business. They operate in a highly agile manner, rapidly iterating on new functionality. The systems these teams are building now will already be delivering monetary value to Target within this year.
We need engineering leaders to lead highly talented technical teams, to build innovative and well-designed software, and to lead technical strategy for Target. As a Sr. Engineering manager, you will use your skills, experience and talents to be a part of groundbreaking thinking and visionary goals. You'll take the lead as you...
Software Development Organization:
- Manage overall software development cycle, driving best practices and ensuring development of high quality code for common assets and framework components.
- Build and lead a team of high caliber software development engineers
- Architect and develop the best technical design and approach
- Manage and execute against project/agile plans and set deadlines
- Drive resolution of technology roadblocks including code, infrastructure, build and deployment
- Manage cross-product technical dependencies and drive resolutions to conflicts
- Advocate for technologies, frameworks, design patterns, processes and guiding values of the domain architecture
- Ensure all code adheres to all development & security standards
- 8+ years of engineering (software development) experience. Experience with at least one full cycle implementation from requirement to production. Experience in building/implementing high performance & scalable server-side applications
- Experience managing software development teams with a strong track record of project delivery for large, cross-functional projects
- Experience operating medium to large scale systems in a devOps model
- Experience with test-driven development and software test automation
- Strong sense of ownership
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with the ability to present complex technical information in a clear and concise manner to variety of audiences
- BS degree in computer science or equivalent
- Experience with Java, Groovy, Spring, Grails- JVM language and framework
- Experience with event-driven architecture using an event-streaming technology like Kafka
- Experience with SQL (Postgres or similar) and NoSQL databases (Cassandra, Mongo or similar)
- Contribute back to the Open Source community is desirable
- Extensive experience working in an agile environment (i.e. user stories, iterative development, etc.)
Back to top