Sr. Engineering Manager
JOIN US AS AN SR. ENGINEERING MANAGER – APPLICATION DEVELOPMENT
Target is one of the world’s most recognized brands and one of America’s leading retailers. But behind the brand our guests love, is a culture of continual innovation – and right now, we are up to big things. The Target Technology Team is driving a transformation in retail, one that will move us from “brick-and-mortar and online” to “bricks-and-mortar and everywhere else.” Our goal is to deliver Target’s unique “Expect More. Pay Less.” promise to guests wherever and whenever they shop, today and tomorrow: in-store, online, on tablets and mobile phones, and in the retail channels of the future.
You can be a part of developing and launching new services that power all the channels where Target does and will do business – in-store, web, tablet, mobile, and future channels. You’ll have the opportunity to design, develop and support innovative solutions across a variety of applications, platforms and environments, building tomorrow’s technologies in Search, Browse, Product Info, Promotions, Content and Checkout. You’ll put your skills, experience and passion to work in an entrepreneurial environment where success is rewarded.
We are looking for highly motivated engineering professionals who can connect the in-store experience to the digital environment by creating scalable and seamless multi-channel experiences without losing the brand we are known for. Individuals in this role will have opportunities to gain a large breadth of knowledge by working with experts in the eCommerce, multichannel retail, product management and software engineering fields.
About This Opportunity
As a Sr. Engineering Manager, you will lead an engineering team in an agile environment building solutions. The key to the success of this position is having strong & innovative approach to problem solving, great technical leadership, excellent communication (written and verbal, formal and informal), flexibility, and a self-motivated working style with attention to detail.
Use your skills, experience and talents to be a part of groundbreaking thinking and visionary goals. As a Sr. Engineering manager, you’ll take the lead as you…
- Manage overall software development cycle, driving best practices and ensuring development of high quality code to create a large scale, high-performing transactional and master data system to support Target’s Supply Chain Operations.
- Build and lead a large team of high caliber software development engineers.
- Establish a team culture that demands a high degree of accountability, values innovation, fosters team connectivity and performance, and exhibits high commitment to team and product objectives.
- Architect and develop the best technical design and approach, specifically driving simple, resuable designs; highly scalable integrations and data processing; and a high degree of automation.
- Advocate for technologies, frameworks, design patterns, processes that support the domain and enterprise guiding values of speed, simplicity, and stability.
- Lead the team to deliver against agile plans and demonstrate a commitment to continuous improvement
- Drive resolution of technology roadblocks including code, infrastructure, build and deployment
- Manage cross-product technical dependencies and drive resolutions to conflicts
- Ensure all code adheres to all development & security standards
- 8+ years of engineering (software development) experience. Experience with at least one full cycle implementation from requirement to production. Experience in building/implementing high performance & scalable server-side applications
- 3+ years of managing software development teams with a strong track record of project delivery for large, cross-functional projects
- Experience operating small to medium scale systems
- Experience with test-driven development and software test automation
- Strong sense of ownership
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with the ability to present complex technical information in a clear and concise manner to variety of audiences
- BS degree in computer science or equivalent
- Experience with Java, Spring, and Cloud-based concepts and technologies
- Experience designing, building, and operating large scale, event based transactional and data centric systems
- Contribute back to the Open Source community is desirable
- Extensive experience working in an agile environment (i.e. user stories, iterative development, etc.)
Back to top