Sr Engineer - Enterprise Cloud Platform
Public Cloud Engineering Team
We’re the team that is driving innovation and transformation at Target as we prepare to adopt and move to public cloud platforms. We are looking for a highly creative and motivated individual who can both lead and implement, is eager to learn, and wants to help build the culture, practice, and craft of both cloud and DevOps across Target. The key to the success of this position is having a courageous & innovative approach to problem solving, deep engineering expertise, technical leadership, excellent communication (written and verbal, formal and informal), collaboration, flexibility, and a self-motivated working style with attention to detail.
Here’s a smattering of approaches important to us, and the technologies we use:
- Everything we do is “as-code” in version control. We don’t like clicking buttons or doing things manually.
- All development or infrastructure configuration changes go through a pull-request process, so you’ll always have a way to thumbs up or down things you catch.
- Everything should have test cases and they go through a continuous integration process
- We understand the importance of logs and metrics, so having visibility to things you need to see to do your job isn’t an issue. And if you need to add more metrics or see more logs, it’s within our control to improve that.
- Some technologies which are critical to the work we do : MongoDB, Node.js, OpenStack, Chef, Terraform, Consul, Kafka, InfluxDB, Graphite, Grafana, Logstash, Elasticsearch, Kibana, Sensu, RabbitMQ, PagerDuty, GitHub, Jenkins, Artifactory
Target’s Public Cloud Engineering Team Wants Your Help To
- Design and implement enhancements to our cloud infrastructure components such as Consul, Chef server, and Artifactory
- Design and implement cloud virtual networks, firewalls, and proxy servers
- Design and implement enhancements to our cloud delivery pipeline using Chef, Packer, FPM, and Jenkins
- Design and implement enhancements to our cloud monitoring components such as ELK (Elasticsearch, Logstash, Kibana), Sensu, Graphite, Graphana, PagerDuty
- Design and implement target specific reporting and dashboards
- Design and implement enhancements to our cloud delivery pipeline web interface using Node.js, MongoDB, and Angular
- Work with other groups at Target to meet monitoring and reporting requirements
- Work with other groups at Target to meet networking and security requirements
- Work with software development teams to help them successfully deploy their applications on our cloud platform
- Help drive adoption of new technologies within the team and across Target
- Make better our continuous integration and deployment pipelines
- Evangelize a DevOps mindset within Target
- Build prototypes to prove out concepts
- Interface with infrastructure partners to further our cloud platform
- Create new and contribute to existing Target open source projects
- Experience deploying and supporting an application on cloud-based infrastructure
- Experience building and deploying scalable infrastructure components such as ELK, Graphite, Consul, etc.
- Experience building, deploying and managing data technology platforms such as Cassandra, MongoDB, etc.
- Experience with RESTful interfaces
- Experience with Java, Node.js, or Ruby
- Experience with Chef, Ansible, or Salt
- Experience with RPM or DEB package management
- Contributions to Open Source community
- Infrastructure as code experience with at least one full cycle implementation from requirement to production – or similar software development experience
- Source Control Experiences, preferable experience with Git
- Strong sense of ownership and the ability to work with a limited set of requirements
- Strong verbal and written communication skills – able to document and share design and specifications with team members and partners.
- Experience with Linux or Unix operating systems including Unix shell and scripting
- Extensive experience working in an agile environment (i.e. user stories, iterative development, etc.)
- BA/BS or equivalent experience
- 5-7 years total work experience
- Has in-depth knowledge of state-of-the art engineering technical approaches in design, build, testing, debugging problems as required by domain
- Maintains technical knowledge within areas of expertise
- Stays current with new and evolving technologies via formal training and self-directed education
Similar Industry Titles and Key Words: Systems Analyst/Engineer, Senior Programmer/Analyst
Meet Some of Target's Employees
Technology Leadership Program
As part of the Technology Leadership Program, Ashley creates great programming tools and works on creating and perfecting Target’s text messaging API.
Back to top