- Bengaluru, India
Target is an iconic brand, a Fortune 50 company and one of America's leading retailers. Target as a tech company? Absolutely. We're the behind-the-scenes powerhouse that fuels Target's passion and commitment to cutting-edge innovation. We anchor every facet of one of the world's best-loved retailers with a strong technology framework that relies on the latest tools and technologies-and the brightest people-to deliver incredible value to guests online and in stores.
Target Technology Services(TTS) is on a mission to offer the systems, tools and support that guests and team members need and deserve. As a Principal Engineer you set the strategy for software development and/or infrastructure engineering at Target. You set the direction for how software and infrastructure engineering efforts will be designed, developed, and operationalized across multiple portfolios and drives adoption across TTS. You lead and approve software and infrastructure engineering efforts to meet functional and non-functional requirements. You are a thought leader and mentor for internal and external technical talent and contribute to the external technical community.
TEAM AND CULTURE
Our high-performing team balances independence with collaboration, and we pride ourselves on being versatile, agile and creative. We drive industry-leading technologies in support of every angle of the business, and help ensure that Target operates smoothly, securely and reliably from the inside out. We are looking for a Principal Engineer who cares
- Robust and distributed architectures leveraging microservices with mature CI/CD pipelines using high observability
- Code as craft with a desire to solve complex engineering problems
- Automating everything possible
- Operational excellence with an approach to engineering that makes our guests and team members their top priority
- Triaging large scale issues but are biased to prevent them from happening in the first place
- Canary and A/B testing that allows us to push code multiple times a day during business hours
- Curiosity and ability to learn outweighs any specific hard skills you have today due to the fast-paced evolution of technology
- Everything should have test cases and they go through a continuous integration process
- The importance of logs and metrics - having visibility to things you need to see to do your job is a priority and we can control making improvements to visibility
- Target's fundamental architecture of microservices, event driven processing, edge computing and elastic infrastructure
This role spans across the Supply Chain Transportation product group within Target Stores & Supply Chain portfolio but will have influence across all of the product group within the portfolio. The mission of the Supply Chain portfolio is to move goods faster, creating efficiencies across the supply chain that make it easy for stores to serve our guests. Its an exciting time to be involved in Supply Chain technology. We are in the process of simplifying our overall architecture and build common capabilities which will power our stores, distribution centers & fulfillment centers which are absolutely critical & strategic for the success of Target. There are a number of areas which you will drive as a Principal Engineer.
- The Supply Chain transportation product group has a lot of applications/products across first, middle and last mile ( including global and domestic transportation) which does overlapping functionalities. There is great opportunity to simplify this and define/build capabilities which can be used across the network. Many of these product groups are tightly coupled and needs effort to make them much more lighter, scalable and extendable. You will play a critical role in defining and executing this new capability driven architecture model.
- We've build capabilities which provides visibility of movement of the shipment/load/parcel throughout the Supply Chain network. This is used for customer communication on the status of their shipments and to drive a lot of proactive alerts like alerting trucks which are going to a wrong store to deliver goods, alerting a DC if its going to miss the SLA for delivering on time to a store, alert a store when the truck is within the vicinity of the store and much more. We are also attempting to provide visibility on the contents of the truck in the first and middle mile space. This requires us to aggregate a lot of different data source and build a highly scalable service to service our stores and DCs to work in the most efficient and optimal manner. You will play an important role in architecting and building the solution.
- We also have Inbound warehousing teams in Bangalore who are building common receive capability which can be leveraged by DCs and Stores. There are a lot of technology modernization effort going on in this space to move away from Mainframe and many licensed products like MQ. You will play an important role to review and provide guidance on many of these efforts.
- Most importantly, we have a strong engineering culture at Target, but we are always looking to raise the bar. We want you to help mentor and grow talent at Target.
- 4 year degree or equivalent experience. Continuing education to maintain thorough knowledge of technical domains along with staying current in latest technologies
- 12+ years of hands-on experience in technology development or services, especially with highly distributed, fault tolerant and scalable system
- 4+ years of experience in strategic planning and setting technical direction
- Has demonstrated success in solving complex technical problems in more than one technical or functional areas
- Understands business fundamentals and how technologies can support business goals along with how to translate business vision into a technical strategy while understanding the financial implications
- Has proven leadership capabilities, the ability to influence others, interpersonal skills, and problem solving skills
- Strong team player who understands concepts of teamwork and team effectiveness.
- Has excellent verbal, written, and presentation communication skills to convey complex technical solutions clearly to an organization
- Has excellent planning and organizational skills.
- Experience in Java/ J2EE, Kotlin, Micronaut, sql/ no-sql (postgre, mongoDB, Cassandra, etc.), Kafka, Python, Drone, Kubernetes containers, Cloud tech, etc.
Back to top