Lead Product Owner - Testing API and SDK Team
Description: Target is an iconic brand, a Fortune 50 company , and one of America's leading retailers.
The Testing and Measurement team is tasked with enabling data driven decision making at Target . Today we are running numerous simultaneous experiments across teams working on a multitude of different products built for millions of users. Experimentation touches nearly every business function from marketing via content management to consumer products. And we are only in the very beginning of this transformative journey.
We're currently building our next generation experimentation platform and are a few years into our journey. In this role, you will be expected to extend the breadth and depth of experimentation platform to enable data driven decision making for the product and operations teams. The Testing API & SDK team owns the high throughput low latency services th a t a re used across the Target ecosystem to qualify and decorate requests that deliver the correct experience to guests. In this role you will partner closely with engineering and lead a team to create and deliver cohesive underlying components. This means creating a high performing, scalable API infrastructure and driving adoption across the company. You will be tasked with making experimentation cheap (integration and effort) to lower bar riers to entry while increasing the breadth and operating at scale.
To succeed with this important mission , we are seeking a lead product owner to lead and implement our vision for experimentation at scale at Target. In this position you will be in the center where business, product, analytics & insights, research, and technology meet.
Product teams at Target Corporation are accountable for the delivery of product outcomes. Product outcomes are a combination of delivering features that drive business value and creating a technology system that is easily maintained and highly reliable . Product teams have one shared backlog that is inclusive of all product, technology , and design work.
The API & SDK team works on customer-facing features and APIs as well as internal infrastructure. A key focus is to give our enterprise customers the product features and APIs they need to manage their experimentation programs at scale. Another focus is to enable our engineering teams to parallelize product development, reduce code complexity, and decrease our time to market with any new product or feature.
As a Lead Product Owner, you will be responsible for defining the vision and roadmap for the services and APIs our products are built on. You'll work with internal stakeholders across engineering and product as well as customers to develop deep empathy for the users of our platform and ensure the roadmap aligns to our overall business objectives. You will w ork in the product model and will lead the development of a comprehensive product strategy and set key business objectives (OKRs) for your respective product area . You will need to leverage extensive knowledge of your product, as well as customer feedback and other relevant data points to a ssess value, develop use cases, and prioritize the direction and desired outcomes for your product.
You will b e the "voice of the product" to all outside stakeholders to ensure that their needs are met , and that the product team is getting the leadership and support that it needs to be successful. You will need to cultivate strong relationships across the enterprise in order to drive collaboration and alignment with key partners and stakeholders across pyramids.
You will d evelop and actively maintain a product roadmap outlining prioritization for the customer themes, technical needs, and design challenges to be delivered and you will be accountable to m ake final decisions on scope and prioritization relative to the product backlog . You will be accountable to c reate and manage product objectives , key results, and key metrics for your product .
Job duties may change at any time due to business needs.
Primary Responsibilities :
- Establish world class experimentation products, practices, and processes for Target
- Own the product integration strategy and roadmap for services, w eb, a pps, s tores , and IoT
- Evangelize, guide, and educate integration practices both within and outside of Target
- Evangelize the value of platform, technical , and infrastructure initiatives to the company at large
- Help drive the overall Experimentation platform API strategy
- Work with product managers to understand their roadmaps and anticipate platform and infrastructure requirements
- Partner with engineering leads to develop a technical strategy for our platform that informs the product strategy and roadmap
- Develop deep empathy with customers, partners, and internal development teams to understand the problems which impact their velocity and quality
- Evangelize the value of API-first development and prioritize technical initiatives to make it painless
- Meet with customers regularly
- Lead, inspire, and influence to make sure your teams are successful and r ecruit a dream team of managers and engineers to execute on your vision
- Consistently evaluate our experimentation capabilities and tools against other industry leaders and peers
- Inspire others to achieve challenging goals and high standards of performance while committing to the organization's direction
- Foster a sense of urgency to achieve goals and leverage resources to overcome unexpected obstacles
- Approach problems from an inquisitive and scientific perspective and look for data to help make decisions but be able to balance quantitative and qualitative insights
- Work in a scrum team, ensuring the teams are aligned around similar goals and objectives and attending all scrum meetings.
- Ensure stories clearly communicate strong affinity for application development as a target market .
- Demonstrate an u nderstanding of the developer community and the tools and technologies developers use to bring products to market, including : platform-as-a-service, CI/CD, devops , and containers .
- Demonstrate an understanding of the data services the customer and stakeholder s need to meet key business objectives and strategies for their products.
- Maintain and refine a backlog: c reate user stories and acceptance criteria and prioritize stories to ensure the work focuses on those with maximum business value that align with product strategy
- 3-5 years SaaS product management experience
- 3+ years of experience with API products and a development background
- Experience building products that have a software development kit (SDK) component to ease implementation for other teams
- Bachelor's degree required, Computer Science or commensurate experience strongly preferred.
- A p assion for analytics and data. You see that experimentation is the next big thing in business management and are excited to help Target through their digital transformation.
- Great leadership and communication skills. Asking questions, listening, driving team alignment, and influencing without authority across all levels of the organization.
- Experience working in an agile environment (e.g. user stories, iterative development, etc.)
- Strong public speaking skills and ability to develop compelling customer-facing presentations
- Proven track record in performing well in a fast-paced environment and organizational skills to manage multiple projects with tight deadlines effectively.
- Experience with Auth N /Z , Identity, Security and building API platforms is highly desirable .
- MBA or other gra d uate level technical degree.
Meet Some of Target's Employees
JordikaiTech Leadership Program Trainee, TLP
Jordikai is currently participating in Target’s Technology Leadership Program, meaning she spends approximately a year embedded in multiple engineering teams across the technology enterprise, prior to joining one on a permanent basis.
Back to top